trying to turn physical custody into legal custody

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

trying to turn physical custody into legal custody

Unread postby paz69 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 pm

My wife and I were stationed in Germany (she is active military) She had 2 daughters from 2 previous relationships. The youngest one was like my own, i was the only father she knew. Not long after we had a son (my only child) things got bad between us i was working picking up the kids making dinner cleaning up, putting kids to be by 9pm id be calling her an she would be telling me shes working late only to later find out she was playing bingo and gambling every night. I started to drink heavy out of being depressed from doing everything and her being gone all the time and blowing through our money.After 8yrs of being married, we ended up splitting up not long after. I moved back to Florida, she moved back to Virginia. When i got the divorce paperwork, I filed requesting partial custody. I never got anything for court until one day I got paperwork saying we were divorced and she had full custody. Not long after this maybe 6 months she was sent to Iraq and asked if i could come pick up our son from Virginia an keep him while she was in Iraq. Long story short, I have had our son ever since. He is 7 yrs old now. She has picked him up 3 times in the last 6 yrs for the summer but it usually only lasts for a few weeks. Other than that she may call a couple times a yr, usually always misses birthday Christmas ect not even a card. She has never paid child support, twice she sent a $20 gift card, or bought him a couple things while he visited with her. She refuses to sign legal custody over to me, and threatens if i dont do things her way she will make my life hell and will take our son out of spite. Because of this i have never wanted to deal with her, i honestly do not think she would take him from me because she would have to take care of him and it would cut into her life. My current gf of 2 yrs keeps insisting I do something to get custody in my name, she worries that one day his mother may decide she wants to try be a real mother and come take him. My gf says now that my ex is living in Florida also and still being military that it wouldn't be hard as I can prove I have had physical custody all these yrs. However, I just don't see it being this easy, being a single father I don't have alot of money or time to fight her court. Does anyone have any insight into what process I should take and
how complicated this could be?
First Post
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: trying to turn physical custody into legal custody

Unread postby chereeda » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:39 pm

First of all, you should tell your girlfriend to mind her own business. Then, without her harping in your ear, decide what it is you want. Having the custody order reflect what is actually hapening in your son's life is in your and his best interest.

User avatar
1K+ Posts
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Tennessee, wife, mother and stepmother

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Campfire, hoosier_dad, LovingDadof2, madalex and 8 guests