School Ignoring Joint Legal

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: School Ignoring Joint Legal

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

dad2grls wrote:
OrigamiDragon wrote:I spun it off just to see if there was a specific way tok apply the brakes. I recognize the potential long term gains by letting her hang herself with a lasie faire rope but the immediate cost to my son seemed too great. I worry about how hard it would be to enforce my joint legal rights at this new district which seemed like a more generic problem.

You are quickly coming to the realization that "joint legal" is otherwise known as "giving the noncustodial father the false belief that he actually has some say in his child's upbringing". It's a falsehood generated by attorneys and the courts to keep dad quietly in his place because he thinks he's got some control over a runaway train.

If mom is the custodial parent and the primary caregiver, she can do pretty much whatever she wants when it comes to school, religion, medical decision making, etc, and there's little to nothing dad can do about it other than spend a lot of money petitioning the court who probably won't do more than give mom a verbal slap of the wrist and a warning "not to do it again" until of course she "does it again".

Yes, some dad's might get a win here or there as the above post suggests but in my experience and from countless decisions I've read- it's the exception not the rule. Especially if the decision has already been made and implemented.

Act fast, if the child starts school in the other district, you've as good as lost.

Joint Legal has already proved a lever to get my kid a lot of help I wasn't able to as just a non-custodial parent. The system is broken but I have no choice but to accept it to be there for my son.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm

If it's a public Kinder you can always escalate to the principal and, failing success there, to the school board.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm

OrigamiDragon wrote:I spun it off just to see if there was a specific way tok apply the brakes.

The issue is that the generic advice you are getting is not relevant to the IN relocation process and your specific situation. A situation that is further complicated by your own move which if not completed won't even allow for your son to return to his original school.
hoosier_dad

Unread postby OrigamiDragon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm

hoosier_dad wrote:
OrigamiDragon wrote:I spun it off just to see if there was a specific way tok apply the brakes.

The issue is that the generic advice you are getting is not relevant to the IN relocation process and your specific situation. A situation that is further complicated by your own move which if not completed won't even allow for your son to return to his original school.

The good news her lawyer has now asserted he was not aware of mother's actions and my son should be staying at his current school throughout the semester. This doesn't mean mother will listen, so the school would process if she persists. My lawyer has struggled to get everything together faster than mother is destabilizing. Hoping to file everything today.

In IN is it really impossible to stop this stunt through contacting the school directly as long as she has any legal custody? She easily could have gotten it rammed through if she was more aggressive about it.
OrigamiDragon
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Sounds like Hoosier Dad has nailed it and has specified that you need to focus on your local statues.

"The good news her lawyer has now asserted he was not aware of mother's actions and my son should be staying at his current school throughout the semester."

How did you find this out?
"No." is a complete sentence.
Do not move out of your house.
What are you grateful for?
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum