Apraxia

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: Apraxia

Unread postby a dad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Outstanding job, notsorewhat2do.

Broken Machine, my kid doesn't have Apraxia but he uses switches with a communicator to communicate. On top of getting advice from the Speech Therapist (ST), such as specific words or sounds to practice, and depending on the severity and/or lack of progress, you may want to inquire about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) as well as Assistive Technology (AT). This could be as simple as a touchscreen with the right language software.

Even if those aren't your end goals, they may at least help him get through his schoolwork, and life, while he simultaneously deals with vocalizing.

Additional options:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20352051

Broken Machine wrote:I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder)
I have a prescription for marijuana. It's for anxiety . . . primarily anxiety for getting arrested for marijuana.
-TJ Miller
a dad

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm

notice the emotions you evoked writing this. This is putting your kids interests first. Think about how that makes you feel. Probably like a million bucks. Why? Because you realize you are in complete control.
Broken Machine wrote:Interesting. I remember in the past thinking about getting a tablet for myself just to see how it is (I also have had < feces-like > luck with laptops these past few years). Your idea might sway me into getting one.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

I suggest not getting a device until you talk to the ST and/or your child has been assessed. The school may have open licenses to apps that may only work on specific OS's or devices. They may even have a loaner device for a trial run.
a dad

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 pm

excellent advice, work with your team and see what they recommend based on their experience. I admit I have zero in this space.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby 133pm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm

In addition to apps (like proloquo2go), you might want to look into sign language too if your kid doesn’t have general apraxia. Again ask the SLP of course. Anecdotally, I find signs tend to help children who are struggling to speak for a variety of reasons, they serve as a visual reminder cue I think. A google search tells me it can be helpful for some kids with apraxia of speech (https://www.apraxia-kids.org/library/us ... of-speech/). Sign language provides a quick way to communicate needs and wants without pulling out an iPad. And it can be used simultaneously with verbal speech. Might be worth looking into.
133pm
10+ Posts

Unread postby Broken Machine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks everyone, all this advice is great. I got another reply from S7's speech therapist. She uses an iPad there to help him get comfortable and to allow him to open up more and be responsive to therapy. He has been in therapy since he was in Pre-K, he is in 1st Grade now. He is seen three times a week, two of the sessions are one on one, the third is with another kid. He has opened up and gotten comfortable with the other kid.

S7 does read nightly (except for Fridays and weekends to give a break) along side his homework. I also go over his sight words from his regular class as well. We made it to the whole list (year goal) last week. He hasn't mastered them but we made it through the whole list the last time I had the kids. S7 wanted to go to the end of the list so we rode the wave and made it to the end.

I also advised the speech therapist of the ongoing divorce. I also told her that from his reading that he is struggling on his "st" and "sm" sounds. She stated in her reply that she will work with S7 on those two sounds. She said that she will send the speech notebook next week. Which is good because I will have my kids that week. It will allow me to get a head start on it and then I can brief STBX on it next week.

With all that said, what is a good tablet to get? I don't really care for iAnythings. And yes, I do feel like a million bucks. I hate stress and chaos due to anxiety but if there is a purpose to it, I feel good about it (if that makes sense). In this case, the purpose is for my kids. And I feel great!
Broken Machine
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

I suggestion a windows device because of windows and pen input. Also because of Onenote (Free) and its ability to enhance reading. Personally i'm a fan of the surface devices, but with the new devices coming out with crazy battery life, you might be able to get a solid one at a good price point. Buying an O365 subscription allows you to share with your son, have 1TB of storage (for pictures) plus a great app is office lens. He could snap a picture and quickly ingest it into onenote to draw on. ( used the hell out of that feature in college (adult learner).

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/01/19/learning-tools-for-onenote-improves-learning-for-all/

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/05/19/onenote-class-notebook-add-in-and-learning-tools-have-truly-changed-my-life/
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Ask the SLP about buying a device, borrowing a device, and which software/websites they use. Observe a session. Take notes. Some apps and/or websites they use may be available on different operating systems, so research it once you find out what they use.

Also check into sign language, if applicable.
a dad

Unread postby 133pm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 pm

The one I mentioned, proloquo2go, only runs on iOS. It’s the one I’ve seen used most frequently but I’m sure there are others. Anyway you wouldn’t want to get a device that can’t run the program the SLP wants to use.
133pm
10+ Posts

Previous

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum