Another NoMad Computer Question!

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Another NoMad Computer Question!

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Mad--we get solicitations at work all the time from companies trying to hawk their products.

I got one today regarding a program called eBlaster at www.SpectorSoft.com.

The stbx was at the house--early on about eight months ago when she first left doing some stuff on the computer. I look back on those days as the Days of Innocence.

Anyway, I'm probably paranoid, but I'm guessing programs like this abound and although I have several spyware programs that haven't found anything, programs like this worry me. I called the company and they said if their program was on your computer it would be nearly impossible to detect even by a forensic computer expert.

Can you provide any pointers at trying to track down if anything like this program is on my 'puter? I guess you could get a new harddrive, but this program emails the info immediately. Wish I could put it on hers.
Bob
100+ Posts

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:22 pm

According to the ad, you CAN put it on hers...they have a detail of the features which indicates a remote install capability if you are unable to physically sit at the computer...

That is some scary software for sure.

How exactly DO you find it? I would like to know as well,
Pete

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:27 pm

Pete wrote:According to the ad, you CAN put it on hers...they have a detail of the features which indicates a remote install capability if you are unable to physically sit at the computer...

That is some scary software for sure.

How exactly DO you find it? I would like to know as well,

Pete, I called the 800# and they said you had to physically install the software, but that you could receive the software report "remotely" by having it emailed to you at any computer anywhere.

Hope I didn't misunderstand.

I'm not a salesman for this software, but man, if I'd known about it before she'd moved out, I would have installed that sucker and given her the whole system. I'd have to break in now.
Bob
100+ Posts

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:37 pm

When I went to the link and clicked the "more info" option on the software, the bottom had segment and link to learn more about "remote install" add-on.

I did not go further than that, but I suppose it would be rather difficult to install it without being there...or without the recipient knowing.

My ex is going to be getting a computer soon...I keep begging her to let me give her one...I have acouple sitting around collecting dust that I offered to "upgrade" for her. I hope she accepts my offer...that piece of software will surely be included at no extra charge!
Don't worry about what you cannot control. Focus on what is legally relevant, not morally indignant or petty.
Pete

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:46 pm

Damn, Pete you're right.

I just called the tech support people and they said you build a file and send it as an attachment on an email. It doesn't show as an attachment and when they open the email, it installs without them knowing it. The guy said it's "stealthier" than if you had installed the program physically. It's an extra $70.

Something about this sounds too good to be true. Where the hell is NoMad when we need him?
Bob
100+ Posts

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Find out if there is any way you can "see" a demonstration of its stealth....perhaps there is a local dealer or computer shop, or local distributor.

I would not be surprised if one the tech geek websites had a forum where this has been heavily discussed...I haven't searched yet...

As a rule of thumb though, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If they have a program that stealthy, you can be sure THEY also have a program that can FIND it. I wonder how much that one costs.
Pete

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:57 pm

Exactly...

I also can't imagine the supreme liability issues they would have because you know someone other than these people have a way to detect it.
Bob
100+ Posts

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:04 pm

Ah--finally got the stinkin' link open. Here's the highlight of the agreement for the remote software:

"If you are not the owner of the computer or do not have permission from the owner of the computer, and you proceed with installing eBlaster on that computer anyway, you have violated the eBlaster software license agreement AND you may be breaking state or federal law.

In addition, Spectorsoft WILL COOPERATE FULLY with law enforcement authorities if you try to install this software on a computer that you do not own or do not have permission to install to."

I guess law enforcement knows how to find this thing.

I also notice that the person has to click on the attachment although they supposedly won't know that the program was installed. I guess you could name it anything you want to get them to open it, like "Johnny's Christmas Picture" and when nothing happens when they open it you say it must have been a glitch.

The company also notes that some email sites won't accept the attachment. No refunds if it doesn't work. I think $160 would be worth the risk if I could see every chat and email...

Where the hell is NoMad? On a date?
Bob
100+ Posts

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Therein lies the rub.....as you said, liability. The company would be exposing themselves to massive lawsuits if anyone could install this on anyone elses computer without permission.

Think of the implications that would mean. It would be the end of privacy....in fact, the software was probably developed FOR the government and is probably being used in the Patriot Act genre of invading privacy.

So, if you installed the software, albeit illegally on her computer....you could NEVER disclose your source of information or use any of the evidence...or YOU could be facing serious penalties...OUCH.....I suppose the inside information alone would be worth it strategically though....

As far as No-Mad...he must be "doing" something tonight. LOL
Pete

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:21 pm

Pete wrote: As far as No-Mad...he must be "doing" something tonight. LOL

Yeah, NoMad. Thought Friday was "Self-Service Night." I guess that's everynight on the ol' Int'l Space Station, eh?
Bob
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum