Known affair

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Known affair

Postby Guitargrinder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:39 pm

What if a spouse is told by another party of an affair that happened in the past, but doesn't address it with the other spouse. Can the spouse divorce on infidelity 7 months later even though there is proof that the spouse knew of the affair 7 months before filing for divorce?
Guitargrinder
100+ Posts

Re: Known affair

Postby Anything4Her » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:42 pm

"The spouse" can file anyway she wants. Filing for infidelity is virtually meaningless in a no fault state. It sometimes affects alimony, but that varies state to state.
Quality time cannot be scheduled. It spontaneously arises while doing the mundane. - FatherofFour
Anything4Her
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

And every state is a no fault state.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby Trevor » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm

And hearsay is hearsay in all 50 states.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Postby Guitargrinder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Is it hearsay if an email exists from the party that informed the spouse of the affair, admitting that they informed the spouse?

The strange piece is that when the spouse found out about the affair, instead of addressing it, the spouse dedicated more to the marriage to make it great. But then decided months later that they couldn't move on knowing that the affair happened.
Guitargrinder
100+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Could you? Probably. In VA at least...you could file Fault Based with infidelity as the grounds. However, as Anything4her said...the grounds are only likely to impact alimony.

Guitargrinder wrote:Is it hearsay if an email exists from the party that informed the spouse of the affair, admitting that they informed the spouse?

The strange piece is that when the spouse found out about the affair, instead of addressing it, the spouse dedicated more to the marriage to make it great. But then decided months later that they couldn't move on knowing that the affair happened.

This is just my $.02...sitting on the information for seven months is...in my opinion...equal to forgiving the spouse. This is evidence by the spouse that received the information putting more work into the marriage. I think (again...my opinion) that you'd have a tough time convincing a judge that the affair was your reason for wanting a divorce when you didn't see a problem continuing to live with, have relations, improve things, etc. for seven months.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Seems like a big dance over nothing. No one cares why two people get divorced except maybe one of the two people.

While one party concerns themselves with the why the other party is usually concerning themselves with the what, as in what they are getting out of the divorce.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Seems like a big dance over nothing. No one cares why two people get divorced except maybe one of the two people.

While one party concerns themselves with the why the other party is usually concerning themselves with the what, as in what they are getting out of the divorce.

Yup. The only reason I filed Fault Based is that was the only way I could get a relief hearing to get money out of the NJ before the year mark. I would imagine that most people (regardless of the reason for the divorce) file no fault to just get it over with.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby soccer rocker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 pm

I know lots of people that try to forgive and can't. 7 months doesn't seem like all that long a time. Some people say they forgive but its obvious they haven't.

But I still don't get what all the fuss is about in a no-fault world. Seems like throwing fuel on a fire.
soccer rocker
1K+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum