My ex has moved from our marital residence and insisted that our 8 year old go with her to a new school district in a different county so that she can live with her boyfriend of 6-7 months. I have expressed my concerns and since I have primary custody in the summer, I hoped to use my time to ensure that the move is in my daughter's best interest before the school year starts.
Our custody agreement does not state any details on School Choice. My concerns are:
-that if my ex's relationship is compromised, her and my daughter are on their own with no place to go.
-My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD and has had learning support in her current school district to assist with needs and has shown great success. A consistent environment and daily routine are keys to the success of overcoming this condition. I am concerned that the new district will not have an educational support system on par with the current school and that they will also need time to document and adapt to my daughter's learning disability.This loss of consistency and time will put her behind.
-During the school year my ex has primary custody and I have partial every other weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday evening every week. With the move, my ability to see my daughter on those 2 week days is limited to 1 hour a day at best. This is not what the initial agreement was based on. Essentially I will be limited to 2 weekends and 2 thirty minute rides a day, yes 2 a day, on Monday and Tuesday evening to pick her up from school and to return her home for the evening. If my daughter were to stay in the district and attend after school daycare this would be eliminated.
-I am also concerned that rather than being in an interactive social environment after school, she will be limited to sitting at home with my ex's boyfriend's mother.
-Financially their is no support agreement in place at this time. I am willing to provide support to benefit my daughter in any form needed however compromising my time with my daughter as well as considerable daily travel time and fuel cost seem like a huge loss to me.
If she is unwilling to reconsider, do I have a leg to stand on if I ask for mediation on this decision? Would there be any consideration for a reversal of primary and partial custody time frames to accommodate the school year with me in the school district my daughter has attended for the last 3 years?