School Choice in PA

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

School Choice in PA

Postby padad1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 am

My ex has moved from our marital residence and insisted that our 8 year old go with her to a new school district in a different county so that she can live with her boyfriend of 6-7 months. I have expressed my concerns and since I have primary custody in the summer, I hoped to use my time to ensure that the move is in my daughter's best interest before the school year starts.

Our custody agreement does not state any details on School Choice. My concerns are:

-that if my ex's relationship is compromised, her and my daughter are on their own with no place to go.
-My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD and has had learning support in her current school district to assist with needs and has shown great success. A consistent environment and daily routine are keys to the success of overcoming this condition. I am concerned that the new district will not have an educational support system on par with the current school and that they will also need time to document and adapt to my daughter's learning disability.This loss of consistency and time will put her behind.
-During the school year my ex has primary custody and I have partial every other weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday evening every week. With the move, my ability to see my daughter on those 2 week days is limited to 1 hour a day at best. This is not what the initial agreement was based on. Essentially I will be limited to 2 weekends and 2 thirty minute rides a day, yes 2 a day, on Monday and Tuesday evening to pick her up from school and to return her home for the evening. If my daughter were to stay in the district and attend after school daycare this would be eliminated.
-I am also concerned that rather than being in an interactive social environment after school, she will be limited to sitting at home with my ex's boyfriend's mother.
-Financially their is no support agreement in place at this time. I am willing to provide support to benefit my daughter in any form needed however compromising my time with my daughter as well as considerable daily travel time and fuel cost seem like a huge loss to me.

If she is unwilling to reconsider, do I have a leg to stand on if I ask for mediation on this decision? Would there be any consideration for a reversal of primary and partial custody time frames to accommodate the school year with me in the school district my daughter has attended for the last 3 years?
padad1
New

Re: School Choice in PA

Postby TransAm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am

How old is your d? So I gather she has not attended school yet where mother moved to.

You can google "PA school district rankings" and it may give you some ammo for mediation, which has to happen quick.

I think there's 512 school districts in pa. If you can print out that where you live is ranked #25, and where she moved to is #425, you'd have a valid argument for the better school.

But I doubt you'd be able to mediate this before the last weeks of august. You shouldn't of let your child move to the new district. How did you drop that ball during the first mediation?
"Wrap it up in latex or she's going to get your paychecks."
TransAm
500+ Posts

Postby padad1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 pm

She is 8 and has spent 3 years in the current district. She currently lives alone with me for the summer and has not yet moved in with her mom in the new district. Her mother has not registered her yet for the new school year. Procrastination is nothing new here. As for the school ranking, the new school has a higher average PSSA testing score for math and reading by only a few points.

My concern is in reference to maintaining stability for her with the district she is already familiar with as well as her daily routine. With the move she will not have the access to the time with me the custody agreement provided due to the new travel requirements. In addition she it will not be possible for her to participate in her current extracurricular activities any longer.

Finally I also have reservations about the lack of an established relationship and household for her to live when she moves because my ex only started seeing her BF in November and just moved in with him at the end of June. My ex will have only lived with him for 2 months before my daughter moves in to start the new school year in a new home and new school. It is his house and if this short lived relationship fails my daughter is out on her behind with my ex.
padad1
New

Postby TransAm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Well why are you making it possible for x to take child to new school? Seems like you either agreed to it or are letting her steer the ship.

You are like just a < edited > hair away from being the primary parent, what does your lawyer say?

Edit: I'm not talking about how pssa is scored. Get on google and typ in pa school district rankings. Again, whose school district is the better of the two?
"Wrap it up in latex or she's going to get your paychecks."
TransAm
500+ Posts

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On