What can I expect in this situation?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: What can I expect in this situation?

Postby BartSimpson » Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 am

Fatheroffour wrote:Depression is a first world problem. A byproduct of air conditioning, Twinkies and too much idle time.

Depression cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Depression is not a sin, the victim can't help being depressed. But in nature, depression is a capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Apologies to Lazarus Long
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 am

I love that guy.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby Anything4Her » Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 am

BartSimpson wrote:Apologies to Lazarus Long

A gentleman who's creator shaped much of my personal philosophy growing up.
Quality time cannot be scheduled. It spontaneously arises while doing the mundane. - FatherofFour
Anything4Her
1K+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 am

I love to read, but have never read much sci-fi. Never read any of the big three, only sci-fi that comes to mind that I have read is Crichton's stuff. Maybe I should dip my toe back in that pool again, when I have a chance to get in some casual reading.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Heinlein is a good start.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby jay » Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 am

What do you really want the divorce for? To avoid any kind of future liability? To assert some type of control? To set a situation where you are only responsible of taking care or yourself?

Thirty years is a long time. If she worked would you want to stay married to her?

What if being in a divorce had the unintended consequences of her blaming you for all her depression and woes? The wrong therapist can instill in her that you are too blame and that you caused her depression.

Be careful: you don't want divorce to become her reason for living and you to suddenly become her worst enemy and the reason for her past depression.

My ex went from completely co-dependent to her blaming me for all her lives problems. Just imagine a therapist convinces her that you are the reason she has done nothing for the last ten years, and then she finds the nuclear weapon of the family courts on the bedside table. This is what happened to me; and I lost everything including my son. Since you don't have children, worst case scenario for you is property loss and alimony. But when she is gone and changed, you might find you miss her.

Best case scenario would be to ease her into some kind of work that makes her happier and easier to be around and rekindle your affection toward her.
jay
New

Postby dobradavid » Sun May 27, 2012 8:16 am

"Glory Road" and "Methuselethe's Children" are good starts. :mrgreen:

Fatheroffour wrote:Heinlein is a good start.
dobradavid
100+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Sun May 27, 2012 8:47 am

Audible.com

How did I ever live without it? What do you think all those people are listening to with those earbuds - music?

Attention advertisers - you, too, can reach this well read and intelligent audience by contacting DadsDivorce.com.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum