Documentation

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Documentation

Postby wch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi all,

What is the best way to document I have paid alimony on time each month? I pay twice a month. I used to hand her the checks. Now she wants me to mail the checks.

Thanks.
wch
50+ Posts

Re: Documentation

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 pm

The cancelled check is pretty good. You could also use an online payment service, maybe through your bank or credit union. I pay practically everything online through my credit union which provides a good documentation trail.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby wch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Fatheroffour,

The problem is that now the bank does not return the cancelled checks to me any more. If she dose not want to give me her account number, I cannot set up online payments. Will certificate of mailing do the job?

Thanks
wch
50+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:54 pm

You may want to double check with your bank or credit union. If I wanted to send you a check through my credit union all I would have to do is set up the account and it will mail you one. wch, at Dadsdivorce.com, Everywhere, Internet 12.123.456.789 and it would show up in your 'mailbox'. When its cashed it can be cross referenced through your account. Mine will allow me to run yearly reports, etc. I believe Quicken and Quickbooks will also do the same.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Fatheroffour

Postby wch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks a lot,

I will check.
wch
50+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Check for "online bill pay" service which doesn't require an account number. It mails a paper check to her address at the appointed time for the correct amount that you set. It will report the date it was sent and the date it was cashed. Be sure you understand the time frame your bank/cu needs for processing.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Postby wch » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:51 am

Thanks Trevor,
I will check that out.
wch
50+ Posts

Postby wch » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:08 pm

I checked the online bill pay service in the bank. There is something saying "you agree not to make payments required by a court order" in the terms and conditions. Is this a potential problem?

Thanks
wch
50+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:40 pm

I have never heard of such a thing; not sure why they'd include that, except perhaps to avoid the cost of a subpoena...though banks routinely charge for such related costs. I am not sure what they could do against you if you used it to pay CS or alimony...it's your money, and NoTFB how you spend your money.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I looked at my credit union for any similar wording and couldn't find anything. Maybe a different financial institution is in order?

My guess would be that their meaning is that their service isn't for paying a fine, a ticket, court cost, probation fees or other similar transaction where they generally require cash rather instead of sending your ex wife a check for her alimony payment.

Maybe a simple email to their customer no-service department if you are hesitant. "Can I use your online service to send my wife an alimony payment?"

Fatheroffour

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On