She wants to take kids for fathers day

Parental Alienation, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

She wants to take kids for fathers day

Postby jumbledone » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Not divorced yet, but inching closer. We negotiated custody ok.

Well, I had planned on a soccer tourney and spending time with the kiddos over Dad's day weekend. Then I looked at a family event invite she recently received that was laying around... And it was for Father's day weekend out of state (6-8 hours away). She wants to bring the kids. She didn't even tell me about it. What do I say? I know it is two months away, but it is supposed to be my weekend, and a tourney for my daughters team.

Maybe I bring the kids to a cabin for mom's day - which happens to be walleye opener here. Stick to my guns or find a way to compromise?
The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama

For a more peaceful life, live the serenity prayer.

It's like he never existed - FoF
jumbledone
5K+ posts

Re: She wants to take kids for fathers day

Postby kangaroocourt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm

I wouldn't compromise even 1 second of my time on father's day weekend.
kangaroocourt
100+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:22 pm

jumbledone wrote:I know it is two months away, but it is supposed to be my weekend, and a tourney for my daughters team.

It's not only your weekend, but it's Fathers' Day weekend. Some will argue that "every day should be Fathers' Day" but I feel kinda protective of that date, still...so my vote is, "sorry, I would never ask you to skip your birthday or mothers' day so I am sure you'll understand my plans for Fathers' Day are settled already."
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby Chris A » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Do not give that away. Plan a better party make it fun and memorable. Water park. BBQ and family.
“Women can fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships.”
Chris A
500+ Posts

Postby jumbledone » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Was thinking of staying in a hotel near the tourney with pool and waterslide. Or going to see a professional team in the sport my daughter plays... And a big ol' BBQ that only dad can do.

jumbledone
5K+ posts

Postby defaultuser » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Just to reiterate, its important not to give away stuff or compromise unless it is in your child's best interest. If you give up a father's day bonding experience for your kid, the translation to the court will likely be that you would rather not spend fathers day with your kids and the mom is really the one who should be looking after the kids day to day.

Giving up parenting time is almost never a good idea. Doing things like trading days if it benefits the kids is ok, but if you let someone take your parenting time, especially pre-divorce, you're likely to lose that time.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby Fatheroffour » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Trade it for Mothers Day.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby Thoughts? » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Was gonna be a smart alec and say "just say no." Then I liked FoF's response better.

No, or swap it for Mom's day.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby RC411V » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am

Last year mothers day was on my weekend. I texted her about when she wanted to have the kids. she replied that since she didn't have a guy to help them make her breakfast in bed, she didn't need to have them and I could keep them.

Another time there was a mothers day tea with the kids at the kindergarten. She forgot about it.

You might ask how she would feel about trading for moms day, but if she says she will, would you want to trade? I wouldn't. Kinda up to you, but for sure if it isn't something more important for the kids than spending time with you, no need to even negotiate about it.
Limits or opportunities?

Every time you start to act like a girl, ask yourself 'What would John Wayne do?'

The List
RC411V
1K+ Posts

Postby jumbledone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

The family event is in another state, not sure I feel comfortable with that... Sure Grams and Gramps would be there, too, but their second cousins and such? Yeah, they see them once a year (not normally this weekend). And they can see Grams and Gramps the next weekend, or the weekend prior.

I'm going silent on this, and expecting the kids to spend that weekend with me. She'll need to bring it up again, and offer a fantastic deal for me to agree to 1: Giving up of 'special' time that overrides all other custody times, per the doc her lawyer wrote, 'special days' trump vacation, etc. 2: More than compensates the kids for the time they miss with me.

More I think about it, the appropriate answer is: Go pound sand.

jumbledone
5K+ posts

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum