Mountain or Mole Hill?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Mountain or Mole Hill?

Postby jtwob » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

I've been divorced for 2 years now and we have a 4 yr old son together. Ex has been dating a guy for six months and they are getting serious. Our decree states he isn't supposed to spend the night which I don't believe he is. However, he is tucking my son into bed with him at night, getting in bed with him at night when he does it, and kissing him on the cheek and forehead when he tucks him into bed and whenever he leaves. I've spoken with ex about it and she obviously could care less. This makes my blood boil. Am I making a mountain out of mole hill? If I'm not, what is the appropriate response and how best should I handle this?
jtwob
10+ Posts

Re: Mountain or Mole Hill?

Postby BartSimpson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Help me understand your thinking.

What are you saying is the actual problem: the affection, the physical contact, the propinquity, or that he is there and you are not?
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby jtwob » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks for teaching me a new word Bart. I would say all four but there's nothing I can do about the fact he is there and I am not. I would rather a guy show my son kindness, care, and concern than the flip side so I really have no problem with affection...it's this type of affection. My issue is that my son's bed is no place for him to be regardless of how serious they are. getting in my son's bed should be off limits and, yes, i find it inappropriate to be kissing my son on the face (not mouth) in that setting. But that's just me and, of course, I'm biased as this is my son. I don't like it and want it to stop.
jtwob
10+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Your son has someone else that loves him.

It's natural. I'm sure he is a very lovable child.

You will have to find a way to deal with your reaction. It's really not healthy. It's not like anyone is doing anything wrong here.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby CCR » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Also, if you are a non-custodial parent, get used to some other man getting to "play dad" more time than you actually get yourself.

Most states indirectly say it's in the best interest of the child, since they order a primary parent where the child spends most of their time.
CCR
100+ Posts

Postby higherroad » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm

got to take the other view, tucking a four year old is a mom or dads, aunt, grandmother etc job.

someone mom just brought into the picture just six months ago to tuck him in, WTF?
higherroad
1K+ Posts

Postby stb_divorced » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 pm

yup 6 months is way too soon and risky to involve a new partner in your kids life. i feel sorry for the kid if it doesn't work out. glad mom feels so comfortable in risking your son's well-being with mr. wonderful.
stb_divorced
100+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 pm

WTF.

*tuck, tuck*

"Night, Night".

Time to get over it gentlemen.

The OP doesn't even think the guy is spending the night. The guy is taking a few minutes break from fingering mom on the couch to tuck kiddo in and it makes the OP's blood boil. That's not healthy. Neither is questioning the 4yo about his going to bed habits at his moms house.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Fatheroffour

Postby higherroad » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 pm

i guess everyone has their own values. i've been dating a woman with 3 kids. tucking them in "in my book" especially at 4 years old is mom and dads job. its a little more intimate at that age than just a night, night...for the kid.
higherroad
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 pm

i guess everyone has their own values.

That's certainly the point. Right?

It's highly doubtful mom and boyfriend think they are doing anything sinister. No ill will is meant. They're not breaking any laws. No measurable harm shall befall the child as a result.

So why waste life being angry over what you have no control over and have no right to have any control over? [Rhet]

Fatheroffour

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On