Child Support Mod

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Child Support Mod

Postby SmokinMeanRibz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm

If my ex gets married to the fellow that just recently got her pregnant, will his income be factored into my ex's "household income" thus affecting my child support? I am not complaining about my child suppurt. I am willing to do whatever the court deems necessary to support my child financially. However, if I am able to have it reduced, I will gladly accept the court's decision.

anyone?
SmokinMeanRibz
100+ Posts

Re: Child Support Mod

Postby beenthere » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Not in my state. Check your state's statutes and support guidelines.
Instead of getting married again, I'm just going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house.
beenthere
500+ Posts

Postby sasserce » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Definitely not in Illinois... Illinois bases child support off a flat (20%) of all income... There are only a few factors that can change that.

However, for Alimony (or maintenance), that is another story.
I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but I am the most colorful!
sasserce
10+ Posts

Postby spritom » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Each state is different, but most commonly only her income will be part of the CS calculation.

However, in some states, if she's living at his house rent free, then the value of the free rent can be added to her income in the CS calc. In my state, even the value of the cable bill that she gets free can be added.

This is one area in which the specific definitions of "income" in your state will be of value to you.
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom

Postby involedfather » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 am

In Texas, so far as I understand it, her income or anyone she's with/married to, etc. have no impact on child support. My ex could be a doctor, marry another doctor, and my obligation wouldn't change one iota.

Now it works the same on my side though. Anything my new wife makes is not taken into consideration when calculating my child support obligation. Along those same lines, when calculating child support the net income is calculated as if you were filing single, 1 dependent, regardless of how you actually file.

The one curious impact to this is if you have more children with your current spouse (or adopt theirs as I'm doing) then that results in a small reduction as you now have other children to support. Given the number of dead beat dads and otherwise fatherless children this makes sense to me. If there is a father, willing to be a father to a fatherless child, they should get some reprieve because what they're doing is immeasurable good for that child and vastly improves the chances of that child growing up to be a contributing member of society.
involedfather
10+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

involedfather wrote:The one curious impact to this is if you have more children with your current spouse (or adopt theirs as I'm doing) then that results in a small reduction as you now have other children to support. Given the number of dead beat dads and otherwise fatherless children this makes sense to me. If there is a father, willing to be a father to a fatherless child, they should get some reprieve because what they're doing is immeasurable good for that child and vastly improves the chances of that child growing up to be a contributing member of society.

You might want to put down the kool-aide, and evaluate the basis of your beliefs.

This huge number of deadbeat dads is a feminist myth up there with the epidemic of domestic violence, the plague of paternal abuse and the wave of child abductions.

It is far more likely that a child is fatherless because of the actions of the mother, than a lack of courage and willingness. Fatherless Child = Nutjob Mother. Hang around here and you'll see it on a daily basis.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 am

Agreed.

Chances of being a deadbeat mom > deadbeat dad.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby involedfather » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

I hear ya. My statement is based on personal experience with single moms rather than just stereotypes. It's quite possible that I just didn't get to know them well enough to see the truth of what really happened.

In my own situation is was my ex bailing out, via another man, and despite my inadequacies as a husband I still don't feel that my 'crimes' warrant my punishment. I supported her financially, emotionally as friends and family hurt her, encouraged her in her goals, activities, and career, never once hit her, yet was still deemed inferior in every way to her lover and am now vilified if I don't do everything she wants.

I'm just grateful in my situation, where I know first hand that my soon to be adopted daughters have a deadbeat biodad, that I'm getting some financial reprieve by taking them on as my own.
involedfather
10+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 pm

involedfather wrote:I'm just grateful in my situation, where I know first hand that my soon to be adopted daughters have a deadbeat biodad, that I'm getting some financial reprieve by taking them on as my own.

Dude, you are real slow on the uptake. You said deadbeat again and added "biodad".

Lucky for you, Cupcake is not like all those other women, right?
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby jamessick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Bart, I love that term cupcake. You rock brother
I am a dad. It is not a simple title, nor a professional position. It is a aggressively defended FACT!
jamessick
1K+ Posts

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On