saving texts

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Re: saving texts

Postby defaultuser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Google voice. I have a record of every phone call I make, ones received, and every text message... forever.

Also, its free.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby MMF » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 pm

what kind of phone do you have? I have an awesome android app, might be available for iPhone too.
Giving NJ the rope she needs to hang herself since 2009
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 pm

I have an android phone. With google voice you get a new number, and it runs an app on your phone.

Don't get to save the texts already there, its a start fresh thing, but it is one of my most powerful evidence collection tools. I swear it was invented by a divorced dad or something. Go online and read about it is the best way to get the details.

All calls made to that number ring your phone and your phone can be automatically set up to call from that number. Texting becomes free, but you don't get photos. You can also go online and see everything and text from a web page. You get voicemail as a .mp3 file for download. You can record calls into .mp3 (not anonymously).
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby AlmostSingle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40862.

I've been meaning to check out a couple of those apps, but haven't yet. I have an iphone, Iusually just take screen shots of the juicy texts and save them to my computer.

The folder I keep them in is named 'crazyb!tchtxts'
AlmostSingle
100+ Posts

Postby MMF » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 pm

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... tore&hl=en

I opted for the MMS one as well since there were some MMS that i needed at one point, but this is more than sufficient.
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby MMF » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:19 pm

try txtract sms backup instead. saves it in a much nicer format
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby MMF » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 am

http://www.appbrain.com/app/txtract-mms ... ro.withmms

Apparently the one for just sms isn't available anymore, so this is the one you want to use.
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby MMF » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Np!
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby Outis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:30 am

Android is great fun for this stuff!

There a lot of apps in the market that can back up text messages. Normally, you do get an XML file like you referred to. These should be opened with Excel or Open Office.

Like many others, I prefer Google Voice. Messages are auto-saved on Google's servers, without any set up or button pushing on my end. On my phone, open the app, scroll through to find what I need. Can sort by text, voicemail, etc. On the PC, can search very, very nicely and quite efficiently. But is it printer friendly? Watch everyone say no.

But it is! There's a great little Python script you can run on your PC to get all of the text messages off Google Voice. Takes quite a bit of set up to do, and I spent about 3 days tinkering and tweaking until I was satisfied. Now I can run the script and have sortable data in Excel in about 5 minutes.

Other stuff on Android? Sure. Use an SMS App like Handcent that has an auto-backup feature. Pay for the app (I think) but worth its weight in gold, even without the backup feature. MacAfee has WaveSecure for Android. You can back up all texts and phone logs online, automagically. On top of that, it offers a little extra security if you're concerned about a lost or stolen phone. Or if you want to use the nifty GPS tracking feature of it to track your phone while someone drives around town with it. You can lock it remotely, wipe the data remotely, etc., and all of your info will be stored securely online. Requires an annual subscription, but for shear ease of use, it's near the top of my list.

Probably some others out there as well, but those have been my main ones. In regards to backing up text messages, I followed a simple rule:If you don't have a plan b, you don't have a plan. What are you going to do when that app fails, or you forget to backup what you wanted? Get something that automatically backs up online as messages come/go.
Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat
Outis
1K+ Posts

Postby nr552 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm

capslock wrote:how do i do it?

smart phone. my touch 4g. t mobile.

Check the Market-- get the SMS Backup app version 1.1.1 by Christoph Studer.

I have the same phone as you, and that's what I use. It'll take a few times of running to get all of your current SMS messages backed up, but once it's current it'll do it automatically.

Works great.
nr552
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Technology and Divorce