Sharing Childcare Costs

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Sharing Childcare Costs

Unread postby skiutah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm

78B-12-214 Child care expenses --
(1) The child support order shall require that each parent share equally the reasonable workrelated
child care expenses of the parents.

We have a standard Utah childcare cost sharing agreement. We both work, but I don't really have childcare costs because on my days (basically 50/50) I just don't work. I was planning on sharing costs, but my ex got mad a month ago and said, she wanted to pay her own expenses (she was off work and just started back). I said fine, and left it at that.

She changed her mind and now is expecting me to pay half the childcare expenses. I was sort of expecting this, but I wanted to clarify one point. The statute and our agreement say "reasonable expenses."

She only has a babysitter on Mondays and Tuesday (those are the only days she works on her days), but this week, the kids had school off on Monday and Tuesday (I had them over the MLK weekend and she took off work on Tuesday, so the babysitter didn't work) and she said we still had to pay the babysitter on those days. I don't really think it is "reasonable" to pay a part-time babysitter for days when she is not working.

Stepping back more generally, if you are sharing childcare costs, how involved does that allow you to get with regards to the pay arrangements with your ex's childcare providers?

Thanks!
skiutah
10+ Posts

Re: Sharing Childcare Costs

Unread postby afc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I always viewed regular child care (mostly used after school care when we did) like camp.

We pay for the whole week of camp. And if jr got sick or I decided to pull them out for a day for 6 flags, the camp still gets its money.

My girls were older when I divorced so we didnt need to sort that out but the standard here seems to be you pay the provider your share directly. That way you know it got paid.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

You may or may not have a valid point, depending on what her arrangement is with the sitter. But the question I'd ask myself is whether this is really something worth arguing about.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby skiutah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 pm

We have a 6-month old, so I imagine this childcare cost is going to be longer-term, therefore I am trying to get it figured out right from the start.

As for the camp analogy, I agree with that regarding a full-time situation, but this babysitter is only working two days a week. It would seem like that is akin to a part-time job that doesn't really pay holidays, etc.
skiutah
10+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Since reasonable is not defined, you and your EX will need to define it yourself. I think you are smart to set the boundaries now. Personally I wouldn't pay anything directly to your EX. I would require EX provide you with the babysitters bill directly and then I would pay the babysitter 1/2 directly.

Be aware, if EX had an arrangement with sitter where she should have been paid for these days and she quits over non-payment, your EX will need to find a new sitter that may cost even more. So refusing to pay 1/2 now may cost your more in the long run. Just something to keep in mind.
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum