Exclusive use of home

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Exclusive use of home

Unread postby bronson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 pm

I moved out in 2016 to begin separation, and my STBX recently got a court order for Exclusive Use and Possession of our house, mainly for "privacy". It appears I'll be buying her share out and our equity division is around 65/35 (I have the greater equity.) Since the order prevents me from going into the house or on the property, what measures can I take to be sure the property I have a big investment in, is not getting beat to crap and run down in the meantime?
bronson
10+ Posts

Re: Exclusive use of home

Unread postby Trevor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm

That boat has sailed. You put yourself in the position of handing her all the leverage.

All you can do is hope she understands that the better care she takes of the property, the more equity she'll get out of it. If she doesn't GAF about that, you have successfully < edited > yourself.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby lionel2013 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 am

what measures can I take to be sure the property I have a big investment in, is not getting beat to crap and run down in the meantime?

None, other than talking to her and hoping she understands.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Not much you can do, however she's got a share of equity in the home too so why would she do anything that reduces the value of the home?

I understand that "divorce homes" tend to run into disrepair, you've got a single mother who doesn't have a clue trying to keep everything up and running but she's overwhelmed and things happen.

But short of letting all the pipes freeze and explode and not dealing with a roof or plumbing leak for example, not seeing how any major permanent damage is going to be done to the house.
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum