Laid off, now what?

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Laid off, now what?

Unread postby SAC2018 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 am

I got laid off a week before Christmas, have no income but I have eight weeks severance. I will have to renegotiate settlement if I don't find something soon, does anyone know what is involved?
SAC2018
First Post

Re: Laid off, now what?

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:49 am

The court will probably see your severance as an extension of regular salary and expect you to continue your obligation as-is throughout the 8 weeks. You have to act in a timely manner so that the existing ordered amounts are modified by the time your de facto income is reduced (i.e., after severance).

Do you have documentation that your termination was involuntary and not performance-based?

How do you pay your obligation now?

1. File for unemployment immediately
2. Keep careful records of your robust job search, using the requirements of your state's UI program
3. File for a reduction in CS/SS immediately (contingent upon your answer to the questions above) to the level of your UI amount - in some states you can figure out the amount of the entitlement before actually receiving it
4. Once you have begun your new job (not before; but after a couple weeks where you know you're planning to stay) file for an adjustment of your obligations to your new (and hers too) salary levels
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby whatever_works » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am

Good advice above. In addition, in my case at least, there was a temporary judge assigned for this hearing. She refused to reduce the CS obligation saying she wants to encourage parents to seek employment. STBX was jobless when I lost my job. STBX is still jobless. But the judge's focus was on me anyway!

Try to search the forums as there are some older threads on the subject that may apply to your situation.

Good luck with your job search. Hope you find something soon.
whatever_works
500+ Posts

Unread postby grandet2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am

1. Make sure you apply for state unemployment benefits
2. Make sure you do 3 to 4 job applications a week and keep a log of it. Make a nice short resume, apply to everything you don't want first.
3. In MI FOC has forms that you can fill for job loss and you have to file a motion to get a temporary reduction. Your aim would be to pay based on unemployment when you start getting it if you fail to find employment by then.

They key is to show you are serious about finding a job and that you had no say in the job loss.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 pm

whatever_works wrote:.....temporary judge.....refused to reduce the CS obligation saying she wants to encourage parents to seek employment.
Playing field leveling.
The judge thinks of you as a deadbeat dad.....and wants to make an example of you.
When it comes to child support, thy tally of bricks must not diminish.

whatever_works wrote:STBX was jobless when I lost my job. STBX is still jobless. But the judge's focus was on me anyway!
Gender bias.
What's good for the goose should also be good for the gander, right?? Not here!!

In intact families, when Dad loses his job, the entire family must economize. But family court adds insult to injury. In addition to losing his job, Dad also gets penalized by the judge.

Tom
Like football, family court is a game of inches. A John Madden strategy
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum