Child Tax Credit for 2018

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Child Tax Credit for 2018

Unread postby Snowblower » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:21 pm

State is IN, D8 S5
My $ 125K Her $35K

I plan on paying for daycare, $80 per week, healthcare at $50 week and CS at about 106 to 190 per week, SS 230 per week. Original plan was to each claim a child.

During a conversation today she claims she should claim both kids because I am inelgible for the child tax credit. I almost agreed but then if I am reading this article correctly the income threshold will be 200K instead of the 75K for next year. Seems like a good reason for Dads who were previously above the threshold to maybe reconsider or talk to the exes about changing how they claim dependents. Is there anything else I am missing? Are there other tax benefits for claiming a dependent. It is important to me right now because we are trying to put together the decree for 2018.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/16/news/ec ... index.html
IN S5 D8
Snowblower
50+ Posts

Re: Child Tax Credit for 2018

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't know where the threshold will be, but it would be more reasonable to split the money, and rather than have her pay it to you, reduce your alimony by that amount for the year. It's less messy and avoids future litigation.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum