College

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: College

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 pm

I wouldn't invest too much for a career in truck driving.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Tuition notwithstanding, there's a lot to be said for community college.

Easy commute - student can live at home.

No SAT to worry about.

Seamless transfer to state college/university without having to worry about that border-line SAT score. It's important to know that a mediocre SAT score will follow you like a shadow.

Oftentimes, CC coursework is more rigorous than lower division college courses - better preparation for upper division coursework.

CC teachers are experienced. Whereas lower division university classes are sometimes (50/50 likelihood) taught by less experienced grad students. But if GTF happens to be a PhD candidate, that's a different matter altogether.

Tom
Like football, family court is a game of inches. A John Madden strategy
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby ib536 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Most schools for getting a CDL will run $4k-$5k on average. After that, just go find a job! So the outlay of cash for that trade is relatively small. Of course you can get a CDL without going to one of the schools. All you have to do is go take the tests. But you will have to find/rent a truck to take the test in (along with another driver to drive the truck to the testing site).

So, in reality, you could get into a truck driving career for only a few hundred up to about $5 grand. This is all just for reference to other career choices. But also keep in mind those jobs will typically be more than just an 8-5 type job.

Oh, and you have to learn to parallel park the truck and trailer! I don't know why, just have to.
ib536
50+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Fatheroffour

Unread postby GIdoc68 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Chasbo wrote:I'm preparing to send my oldest son to college.

What a complete scam. Just about $300k for a private college. There are various grants but those disappear if you make over 100k. Even state college will be over 100k.

Ive saved up quite a bit for the boy in a 529. But this is really mind blowing. How do people afford it?

there is absolutely no reason to pay that sort of money for private school tuition if he doesnt qualify for major merit balicsed money to go there. Unless the private school we are talking about is HYS or such just tell your son to go to large state university. its more fun anyways
GIdoc68
10+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum