Company I used to evaluate my pension

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Company I used to evaluate my pension

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Not sure if I ever posted the company I used to evaluate my pension?

FYI - their website it terribly slow, but the cost is very reasonable ($125) and turned around in under a week: http://www.pension-evaluators.com/
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Re: Company I used to evaluate my pension

Unread postby lionel2013 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:48 pm

LovingDadof2 wrote:Not sure if I ever posted the company I used to evaluate my pension?

FYI - their website it terribly slow, but the cost is very reasonable ($125) and turned around in under a week: http://www.pension-evaluators.com/

I am lost.

Why do you have to pay these people $125 to tell you something your pension administrator should be able to tell you at no charge? Who holds your pension currently?
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:03 pm

The task of determining what her earned % will be worth in 20 years (when I retire) and bringing that annual payout to a present day, lump sum value was well worth the $125.

$125 is pennies in a divorce. Plus, having an independent company perform the task made my Ex at ease that I wasn't gaming her.
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:34 pm

The task of determining what her earned % will be worth in 20 years (when I retire)

Nobody can determine that (nobody can predict the future, except for Nostradamus). And your pension administrator can estimate that just as well as anyone you pay $125 to run some numbers based on assumptions which cannot be verified since they are looking into the future. Surely your X doesn't have a basis for suspecting your pension administrator is biased in your favor.

But if you want to be happy about the $125 you just spent go ahead though, I'll stop raining on your parade.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 am

Where I work, the pension administrator would have taken 6-12 months to get us a reply.
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:59 pm

I do this with online tools at my broker. If think they all have them if you do the work. I do it that way as I've been paying into pension plans for decades and it would be foolishness leaving significant money in the hands of others. I moved all my money in 1 business day online twice and barely got hit when the stock market dumped in 2008 or the much lesser correction in 2015.

Economists currently think the market will continue to climb until March or April of 2018, then could start to correct. The first quarterly report is important to watch as it could propel the market much higher and economists will re-evaluate at that time.

Market explosions like the current one cannot last forever and there's no way I'm going to lose 20-50% like many folks have in the past by freezing and not moving their money to a safer place.

Educate yourself. Losing some money in your retirement can easily happen with market swings and that's expected as it goes up and down and folks should ride those out. However, losing large sums in your retirement funds is a choice. It's impossible to make the perfect call as to when move money, but the writing is on the wall when there's any major correction. It's one area that if you watching CNN or FOX, you will get the same story!
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:23 pm

The issue was not how much payout would I get, that's easy (# years x salary x percentage x 1/2 for her).

The issue was forecasting how long I would live after retirement (actuarial tables) and then take that amount of money (lump sum) and bring it present day.

Anyway, i did not have the option of a pension administrator to do these calc's for us. So, $125 was pennies when thinking of cost of divorce.
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:01 pm

If OP and his ex wife were happy with the results it was money well spent.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum