Divorce while building a house

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Divorce while building a house

Unread postby Lion1234 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes, i did all the research on child support and alimony. Much is left to the judge since these are not formulas, but guidelines. Realistically, I am looking at $3-4K in both payments per month. Probably somewhere in the middle. Could be less could be more.

Duration is easy with child support, but almost impossible to figure out with alimony. Best I could come up with is 80% of 13 years we've been married.

Since I don't have a job now, maybe I should become a divorce lawyer. They don't seem to know more than I do from all the answers I got. :lol:
Lion1234
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Tbh I think you're jumping the gun here.

You're not working, so you don't know what you can afford.
Neither of you have a stable place to live. You don't know where you're going to be in six months.
You can't even file until September.

Moving back in now is the smart play, but you're months away from being able to implement a solid plan.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Lion1234 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes. Just trying to be prepared. there is nothing stopping her from asking. I need to have some response that is based on something solid short of saying No to everything.

Speaking of the parenting plan, i saw the template on this forum, but it's way too verbose. Has anyone used any software for it?
Lion1234
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Verbose has saved many a man from calling the police to enforce parenting time, or filing a motion to clarify. Detailed is good.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Lion1234 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Started a new thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80085
Lion1234
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum