Clothing and Finances

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Clothing and Finances

Unread postby a dad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Op and Broken machine, you guys are close but you are focusing more on your ex than you are your kids.

My kids know that at the end of the day they can wear whatever they want, whenever they want. They're their clothes, not mine. We all know that mom does want some of her clothes back so we do try to wear clothes from her on exchange days. But we don't have to.

Shoes - buy an extra pair for each kid, good enough for PE. But they do tend to have a favorite pair so the extra pair can be an inexpensive backup.
a dad

Unread postby Broken Machine » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Oh I get it. I tell my kids to wear whatever they want (as long as it is clean). I was just relaying how I went through the process of this. In the end, it only matters that the kids' needs are met. Damn what the ex does or thinks. I wanted to convey to OP that I understand where he is coming from. My STBX of course won't let the kids wear the new stuff she buys them when it is time to swap them over to me. Hell, she puts them in exactly the same outfit that I sent them to school in. I never even realized this until I went through some pictures I took of the kids. I just laugh and shake my head at STBX's games. I then do what I need to do to make sure I take care of my kids. My DGAF meter is getting there.

There are still expenses I would split with STBX such as school supplies, medical stuff, things like that.
Broken Machine
100+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:37 pm

That's good to hear, broken. And appears to be progress to me so great job and keep it up.

When I was where you are, that's when I decided to flood both closets with much needed larger sizes of clothes, and underwear that fit, and socks that matched, and eventually, I broke the machine that is my ex. She didn't notice at first, and by the time she did, it was too late. She couldn't keep up.
a dad

Unread postby afc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm

One thing my ex and I did when we were together starting around age 10 for them that carried over after divorce was to give the girls a set amount of money for back to school or new shoes or whatever and they shopped. They had to get an adequate wardrobe but they could keep what they didnt spend. They quickly learned about resale stores, garage sales and other sales and got to pocket quite a bit of it.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 pm

a dad wrote:They're their There clothes, not their Here clothes.

It' refreshing to not to see typos, a dad.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum