Understanding the WA Child Support / Splits

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Understanding the WA Child Support / Splits

Unread postby TheBoysDad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm

I am totally rewriting this ...

I am in King County. When I use the WA child support worksheet. How is the transfer payment determined from line 17. If both columns in 17 are equal is the transfer payment 0? Or does one person pay the other the entire amount in "their" column.

I ask b/c in my situation are numbers are near identical, I have 44% she has 56% time with the children. Yet, I am giving her the entire amount in my column. Seems it should be the difference to equalize the 2 numbers.

Help!
TheBoysDad
10+ Posts

Re: Understanding the WA Child Support / Splits

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 pm

No. It's assumed she's already paying the amount in her column as the custodial parent. If you add the two numbers, that's what the court estimates it costs per month to raise them. Without 50/50, she's entitled to the whole amount in your column unless you specifically ask for a deviation.

You have a significant amount of time with them though, and you can and should ask for a deviation based on that. You won't get it unless you ask for it.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby TheBoysDad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:05 pm

That makes perfect sense ... now I understand why they proposed such an odd schedule. Because it was 50/50 and by skewing it slightly (by 1 day per week for 30 weeks of the school year), she gets the full benefit but only commits a single evening since they are in school during the daytime. I read up on the deviations ... is it difficult to persuade / negotiate it?
TheBoysDad
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 pm

No. If there's a huge income disparity they can argue against a deviation, but you will probably get it based on the amount of time you have with them.

It's still at the judges discretion so you must request it and only a judge can order it. Don't settle.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby TheBoysDad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 pm

At the moment, the maintenance I pay makes it even for at least the next 2.5 years. But after that, I expect to pay the full amount. What amount of deviations do they usually order or allow? Have to figure out if it would be worth it ... if they would give me a $200 deviation for 30 months, hardly worth it ...

I am really looking for what I need to do when we redo the support schedule, probably next summer.
TheBoysDad
10+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum