child support

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

child support

Unread postby Welcome123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Question for you guys.....My child support payments are due on the 19th of every month. When i dropped off my son yday i had the checks with me but forgot to hand them to her. Today when i realized i immediately sent a pay pal payment to her in the amount owed which she immediately rejected as she says it will take 2-3 business days for it to clear and payment needs to be cleared by today, not just submitted to her. (not sure if thats true or not) I then attempted everything, venmo, wire transfer, quick pay and offered to give her the checks tomorrow when i pick up my son but she is demanding the money today otherwise she is calling her lawyer. Ive never once been late in a year and this was a clear mistake. Should i be concerned about this?
Welcome123
10+ Posts

Re: child support

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

She’s got nothing. You have done nothing wrong.

Are there reasons to be concerned? Would she refuse to provide your son for your parenting time?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Welcome123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks....well she is not allowing me to have my son for thanksgiving dinner so our lawyers are having a conf call with the judge tmrw and i don't need this having an effect on me getting him that day. I'll clearly have him since she had him for thanksgiving last year, we just don't have a settlement or stipulation in place for that day.
Welcome123
10+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Any issue besides just "she can't tell me what to do" with dropping off a check today?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Welcome123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm

i have no issue with her attempts at telling me what to do but i have my support obligation and i always pay it, its for my son, id never not. Today was a simple oversight and she doesn't live anywhere near me so i could just go drop it off.
Welcome123
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 pm

I noticed we have never told you about having a recorder with you.

I do think you should drop it off today if humanly possible, but contact with the mother should be protected by a discrete recorder on your person (not your phone). She is looking for excuses, she probably thought non-payment would impact the holiday (it doesn’t) and if you pay she might find another excuse in the exchange.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Welcome123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm

we have a joint account thats still open and she has access to it so i just made the transfer. Not sure what her argument can be to this one but trust me, she will have one! Even if i gave her checks today the funds wouldn't be available for 1-2 business days any way, the same as venmo which i offered. She's just searching for reasons now.
Welcome123
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Document this one. Write yourself a note about what she said and what you did - this thread might even work if you keep a copy as part of your Journal.

I know it sounds odd, but if she withholds the child, you’ve got a win. We don’t sell our children in this country, and that’s what she’s doing. Human trafficking.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Welcome123 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Oh trust me, the entire email dialogue has been to sent to my attorney just in case.
Welcome123
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:52 pm

So money doesn’t matter? How are your legal fees going?

You should really stop using your attorney as a therapist, because all that did was cost you money. It was a trivial matter until she withholds the child, undeserving of your attorney’s attention.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum