child support

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: child support

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm with you trev, they are for records purposes. By having it addressed by your employer and deducted from your check, there is an easy traceable record. While there might be issues, with this tracing ability, it will all work itself out on paper if proof/documentation is ever needed.

I think the risk of any administrative error as protection against frivolous claims is worth it. I also had the impression you shared of your experiences, that working with them was no trouble at all and was addressed.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 pm

massdad1234 wrote:This reminds me of the people arguing that no seat belts is actually safer than wearing a seat belt.

Nailed it.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Not many people drive off cliffs, but they sure do crash into other cars a lot daily. We should add up how many of the injuries were prevented by a lack of seat belts. I would imagine it would pale in comparison to those injuries and fatalities prevented. Plus its not being ejected from a car that kills you, its the hard things and high speed or those other vehicles on the road etc.
dad2grls wrote:Wearing a seatbelt can be a hazard- say if you drive off a bridge and it jams and you're drowning and can't get out.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Dad2 sorry about the OP quote.

Sometimes these threads get so long. No excuses other than on the phone.

I vote for the seat belt option.
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 am

I created a State specific post, but wanted to reply here for more eyes and knowledge.

After doing some more digging, I discovered my State of New Jersey uses ExpertPay as an electronic payment option for CS obligations.

ExpertPay also permits paying your Ex directly (without w/o registering with the State Agency). I am wondering if you think ExpertPay's records (since they are an accepted payment system for my State) would be enough to please said State Agency if payments were ever disputed in the future?

This would be the best of both worlds, not using the State Agency (avoiding automatic COLA increases) but having an impeccable set of payment records they accept? Anyone have any thoughts?
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:43 am

Since the state recognizes the company for CS payments the answer is most likely yes but for the definitive answer you should ask the agency or your CS caseworker. Best practices would involving getting your answer in writing and keeping it in your case file.

That said, if you think you're being clever and getting a super secret good deal that few people ever thought of, I doubt it. There's going to be pros and con's to either system.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 am

Government vendors must comply with government regs. I'll bet they do the COLA thing too.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am

Correct.

If this recipient gets COLA increases that one can too. The payee doesn't get to avoid it because of their choice of payment service.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 am

I would have thought so to, but I don't see COLA's listed anywhere on their site: https://www.expertpay.com/
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 am

Why not ask them directly why you get to avoid COLA increases if you choose to use their service? What happens when the recipient request one? On what basis are they denied?
Fatheroffour

PreviousNext

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum