Movers coming, No final agreement

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Movers coming, No final agreement

Unread postby Snowblower » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

Need some quick advice.........my STBX mother has arranged for movers to come to the house tomorrow to take the big items that she knows she will want to her new house. I am excited she is finally moving out and things are getting finalized however she has not responded at all to the settlement agreement my attorneys gave her. We agreed to 50/50 split of assets in the home being furniture etc etc and even verbally agreed on certain things however not everything. If I was going to be around this would not be a big deal but I will at work and she has the liberty to take whatever she wants. What do I do, let her do what she wants and just deal with it later. There honestly is very very few things in the house I really care about anyways and can just replace but I feel she is going to get carried away.
Snowblower
10+ Posts

Re: Movers coming, No final agreement

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 am

Personally, I would secure everything I wanted, today.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby TJinCA » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:25 pm

That, and I would seriously consider calling in sick so you can be around while the movers are there, if you think there's likely to be any funny business.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:33 pm

If the divorce has been filed, you can claim this violates the standard restraints for dispensation of marital assets and - using a police officer for civil standby - turn the movers away at the door.

Otherwise, expect that every single item related to the children will be removed, which probably means you will come home to an empty house.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Don't come home to a empty house regardless of what you both agreed on. Its a lot harder to get something back than it is to keep it.

Get a hot pot of coffee on and make damn sure that digital audio recorder (DAR) is humming away in your pocket after calling in for an vacation day or sick day. If you have discussed this with your sup or business owner he/she will understand.

I would also suggest taking a quick photo inventory of everything bigger than a small appliance if you make the incorrect decision of not being there (EDIT Or letting her in as Doc suggested).

Maybe the gents here could chime in on why you would agree to (or advantage of doing this) this prior to having a court ordered plan of dissolution of assets including furniture? I can see a real cluster here if this goes south. I may not be understanding why she thinks she can do this. I understand you want to get her stuff out; but some of the stuff going out may be yours if you are not there.

Edit: I see Doc answered part of my question for the vets here.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Snowblower » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Havalu7 wrote:If you have discussed this with your sup or business owner he/she will understand.

I would also suggest taking a quick photo inventory of everything bigger than a small appliance if you make the incorrect decision of not being there (EDIT Or letting her in as Doc suggested).

Maybe the gents here could chime in on why you would agree to (or advantage of doing this) this prior to having a court ordered plan of dissolution of assets including furniture? I can see a real cluster here if this goes south. I may not be understanding why she thinks she can do this. I understand you want to get her stuff out; but some of the stuff going out may be yours if you are not there.

Edit: I see Doc answered part of my question for the vets here.

Tell me more on the general court document stating she cannot move things out of the house. She is the one that filed the same day I told her I intended to. I don't remember seeing or reading anything like that but just remember the part about insurance policies and beneficiaries.

Also, walking that fine line of I want this moving forward and want her out of my house so I do not want to hold the show up. As far as the divorce goes, just waiting on some sort of official response from her. Its all part of a plan I am sure. So pictures are taken, anything I consider family heirloom or personal is secured and anything else she wants to take I will just assume she is going to take and who knows, this will come back and bite her when she has to explain she picked a day I was at work to empty the house. I will just make sure I get it back in the form of dollars in the settlement which is fine with me.
Snowblower
10+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:51 pm

We literally had an agreement signed on the courthouse steps that stated what she could take and not take.

Story time; I went on a trip to ironically pick up stuff I was buying from a friend who was moving out of the country. She wasn’t aware that I was coming back with a trailer full of furniture and gong to have to rent a storage unit. To my suprise I called her on the way back from LA and she told me that she had moved out!

Long story short it worked out good even though she took a extra TV and a few other pieces of furniture that were not in the agreement. Was actually better because I moved the new stuff right in.

Your situation is different and I would suggest being there. You know best OP.

You do have a digital audio recorder in case you change your mind and get the flu tomorrow?
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 pm

It’s not a bad thing.

As long as you have secured the items you personally will want, it’s part of the process of divorce to split the sheets. The silliest things to argue over are electronics and kitchen stuff - next year’s will be better.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Snowblower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Well.......I love reading posts on this forum and just going , yup. Its hilarious, she says last mnute she got some movers to move some big furniture of her parents out of the basement and some recliners, ha. It could be worse but no she had a plan and moved quite a bit out. Some of it just funny, floor mats, bathroom mats, supplies in closets......come on. The thing I dont like is she took some stuff of the kids to her house...... but oh well it is just stuff and can be replaced. I only have two objectives in this divorce being my kids 1, and her out of the house being 2 so I can just about check that one off the lists....all is good
Snowblower
10+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 am

OP - it looks like your STBX is the one being bold and taking risks, what are you going to do to counter that?

Also, if she moved out, change the locks!!
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum