food stamps/budgeting

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: food stamps/budgeting

Unread postby LovingDadof2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am

Motororays, just wanted to chime in, you are not alone. I am close to finishing my divorce and will be facing the same set of challenges you are currently facing. I have lost way too much sleep and time worrying about my future finances. You can only budget so much, but won't really know if my budget is close until after a full year of living it.

Hang in there Motororays, you will make it!
LovingDadof2
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 am

Cooking at home is cheaper, typically healthier, and you can do it with your kids helping. Some of my fond memories as a child are helping my Mom and Dad cook meals, especially early on Thanksgiving morning. I did the same with my kids. It's great - cooking together then sharing a meal at home - no electronics.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Trevor wrote:.....no electronics.
Gosh Trev!! Does that mean no football??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Correct - and no American football either!
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:58 am

agree with Trev - find a way to eat out zero times unless you meet a milestone. Make saving just as enjoyable as spending 8 )
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am

Also one thing I realized is that when you eat out so often it's just not fun and an event.

Eating out 3 times a week at 20 bucks a pop at a cheap place is about 360 every six weeks.

Why not save money, eat at home and every six weeks go to a really nice place for 100 bucks to celebrate something? Splurge but splurge smaller and for a reason.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 am

I dare you to make more sense
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Motororays » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Campfire wrote:
Motororays wrote:[

Basically I bring home $600/week (used to $900) so I know im not in bad shape just trying to cut out the fat like eating out.

Motor,

Is the eating out a thing you do to feel happier?

Unfortunately no. Its a "my kids have this this and this going on that by time I get home at 9pm I have to leave for work so order take out instead". Yes I have my kids every single day getting them from point A to B. So when I finally get to the weekend that isn't part of my week im actually excited to have a weekend alone. But then that doesn't happen because my son who plays travel soccer (its free because I volunteer on the board to make it happen for him) has games all weekend ugg. I have just recently started doing crock pot meals instead. Hoping this will help. I work 3rd shift 10pm to 6am. I really am trying its just so hard. Fortunately I just got a bonus check and ask another woman out on a date. Took her and paid cash because I am at the point of this credit card needs to go. Debt is not fun. Cant believe I only made it 5 months before going on a date.

So thanks for the good words guys. I really am trying to lower my standard of living just struggling to do it. another somewhat fortunate thing is my oldest is 16. I have 2 years and ill start getting $110/month back in my paychecks lol. Of course im sure I will be taken back to court because then she will no longer be able to use my child support to 100% pay for her apartment.
Motororays
10+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 pm

I hate graveyard. You're fortunate that you have a consistent schedule. Since you have enough free time and cashola to go on dates, please don't embarrass yourself with threads titled "foodstamps". Hope you got laid.
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:21 pm

cleanup isle 3
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum