Daycare Issues with the Ex-Wife

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Daycare Issues with the Ex-Wife

Unread postby JoseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:44 pm

My Ex has 3 children from a previous marriage. We have a 3 yr old daughter together. I was ordered to pay half of daycare as she would pay the other half. Problem is she has her 16 year old daughter watching our daughter when she works. She’s a bartender and mainly works in the evenings. She recently got married and I have no idea what her new husband’s work schedule is. I’ve been paying her half of my daycare as she would tell me she’s paying her half and giving the full amount to her daughter. The obvious question is, how do I know she’s paying her half to her daughter or even if she’s paying the full amount? How Can I ask her to give receipts. She could easily make a false one. Am I in contempt of court if I stop paying my half since in my eyes it’s not considered daycare? Advice anyone?
JoseH
New

Re: Daycare Issues with the Ex-Wife

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello,

Before you go further, we need to know what State you reside in?
What is the parenting plan - how often do you see the child?
Put some numbers to your question - how much is your half?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby JoseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 pm

This is in Illinois. I have midweek < parenting time > every week for a couple hours. I get her one day on the weekend for several hours every week as well. My half of daycare lately is $150.00 every 2 weeks. It varies due to her picking up more hours at the bar she works at. So, combined if she paid her half is $300 of daycare paid to her oldest every 2 weeks.
JoseH
New

Unread postby JoseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm

I make 30,000 a year right now. I have another child from a different mother that I pay child support on. He doesn't require daycare cause he's 14 years old. 40% of my bi-weekly check goes to my kids not including the daycare I pay for my daughter. I'm also looking into filing for modification.
JoseH
New

Unread postby afc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Why can't you watch your kid when the mom works?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby JoseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

That would be the ideal thing to do. Since she works at a bar she doesn't come home until closing which is 1-2am on most nights. This is the main issue though. How could it be considered daycare if she's at home with the new husband and the oldest children?
JoseH
New

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm

I wouldn't be paying daycare unless she was in a daycare. Let the ex make an issue of it in court. If the 16 year old is making 600$ a month babysitting, she'll be filing her own tax return and it won't be hard to prove either way.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 pm

JoseH wrote:That would be the ideal thing to do. Since she works at a bar she doesn't come home until closing which is 1-2am on most nights. This is the main issue though. How could it be considered daycare if she's at home with the new husband and the oldest children?

Daughter is 3.

You watch when mom works, put her to bed, carry her out to car asleep and deliver her home if need be.

No need to pay babysitter and you get more time with kid.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Who do you pay for child care? Are you giving the money directly to the mother? Tell the day care to bill you directly your half. What? No actual day care? Guess you will be paying $0.

Why should you have to pay more in day care if she is working more shifts? If you are available, you should have the child.

Please clarify, how many overnights you have with your D3 in a 4 week schedule.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby JoseH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:40 pm

massdad1234 wrote:Who do you pay for child care? Are you giving the money directly to the mother? Tell the day care to bill you directly your half. What? No actual day care? Guess you will be paying $0.

Why should you have to pay more in day care if she is working more shifts? If you are available, you should have the child.

Please clarify, how many overnights you have with your D3 in a 4 week schedule.

We both bank with Chase so I send her a quick pay directly form my account to her account. That's for both child support and daycare (babysitter). Separate payments.
JoseH
New

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum