Wife got inheritance a year ago, now I’m out.

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Wife got inheritance a year ago, now I’m out.

Unread postby Linescrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

So my FIL passed and left his house and $500K to my wife. I understand I’m in no way entitled to any of the house or cash (Cash is in a retirement account). But am I entitled to half the growth of the account? She is also hammering away a big chunk of her paycheck into it. Live in Washington state with no kids. Thanks in advance.
Linescrew
10+ Posts

Re: Wife got inheritance a year ago, now I’m out.

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Linescrew wrote:So my FIL passed and left his house and $500K to my wife. I understand I’m in no way entitled to any of the house or cash (Cash is in a retirement account). But am I entitled to half the growth of the account? She is also hammering away a big chunk of her paycheck into it. Live in Washington state with no kids. Thanks in advance.

I'm going to give a solid "it depends". Probably not the gains from the inheritance but yes to the amount she's putting away from her paycheck. It's going to be difficult to sort out. How long have you been married? East side or west side?
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Linescrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:42 pm

West side, 17 years. How about part of her business that she is the soul owner of for the last 20 years. Not looking for a payout just leverage to keep what’s mine.
Last edited by Linescrew on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linescrew
10+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Chaos wrote:
Linescrew wrote:Probably not the gains from the inheritance but yes to the amount she's putting away from her paycheck.

And any gains from what she's contributed from her paycheck, FWIW.

OP, does she know you know? What's the deal here?
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm

You'll probably need to have a forensic accountant take a look at the account and determine how much (both deposits & growth) is your wife's separate property and how much is community.

Also, if she was contributing marital funds (even if it was from her employment income it's still marital funds) it's possible the entire account could be considered comingled and therefor all community property. So even if you don't really want to take part of her inheritance (it does seem like kind of a < feces-like > thing to do) maybe you can use that argument as a bargaining chip to get her to agree to some other accommodations.

The business is also community property even if it's only in her name. You would be entitled to a portion of the value and again you probably need a forensic accountant to give you an unbiased view of value.
Last edited by TJinCA on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby Linescrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm

She doesn’t know that I know.
Linescrew
10+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 pm

We aren't dentists, sir. Don't make us pull teeth, here.

How did you find out? What was she doing with the money from her paycheck before the retirement account? And this is an issue because...why? You want a cut? You want punitive measures taken because you think she's being sneaky and underhanded?

Give us a little something to work with.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:56 pm

So she got a what, close to $1M inheritance and she didn't tell you about it? And she's been squirrelling away a big chunk of her income and not telling you about that either?

Da-yum...that's messed up
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby Linescrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Found a monthly printout of her portfolio, before that I had no clue. So I’m a bit blindsided and pissed. Like I said not looking to get anything that I’m not entitled to, just looking for a fair shake. It’s a bit of an emotional issue, she’s hammering cash away yet telling me I need to work OT to pay the bills.
Linescrew
10+ Posts

Unread postby Linescrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Yup between the house and retirement it’s close to a mill. She has yet to tell me anything even close to the actual amount.
Linescrew
10+ Posts

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum