Control wife's spending before filing?

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Control wife's spending before filing?

Unread postby bigweather » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes, she's extremely good at it and I'm not, but I'm stepping off the wheel once and for all.
bigweather
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 pm

So I am not sure what there is to debate, it's a simple asset division by two. What is all this angst you have about a contested divorce? You gave her an ultimatum where there was none.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

You need to

- cut her off finances immediately
- file immediately
- enter a motion for temp orders immediately to have the Court sanction separation of finances and assign responsibility for existing and future debt. But, watch out. When the two of you do that and she files her financial affidavit, she most definitely will inflate her expenses to ridiculous levels (that's exactly what my X did, and she had your X's same traits and propensity for blowing money like no one else I've ever known personally). You need to be prepared with data (line item, reasonable expenses supported by actual, reasonable spending). Otherwise, the Court will simply sanction her current spending to the tune of $5k/month and you will continue to be on the hook for it).

Sorry man, I know exactly what you're going through - many of us on this board have gone through similar experiences, your X' disease is a very common one.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum