Social Security benefits

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Social Security benefits

Unread postby Mark 10409 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am

Hello,
This is my first post. Looking for some advice. I was married for over 25 years. Long story short, she spent everything we made during the marriage after the divorce she kicked out my daughter that she had custody of and spent the child support checks on herself. I was able to save a little and now getting ready for retirement I find out that she can take half of that.......Does anyone have any advice on this.... just not fair in this situation.

Thank
Mark 10409
New

Re: Social Security benefits

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am

Hello,

Who is telling you this about your ex getting another bite at the apple?
This issue would normally have been settled in your divorce - did you use an attorney?
What State do you reside in?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Mark 10409 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

BartSimpson wrote:Hello,

Who is telling you this about your ex getting another bite at the apple?
This issue would normally have been settled in your divorce - did you use an attorney?
What State do you reside in?

I have beenreading online, believe me if my ex qualifies she will apply for it. There was nothing in the MSA about SS. Divorce in WI. Thanks for replying.
Mark 10409
New

Unread postby TJinCA » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 am

I think she can receive Social Security benefits based on your record if she meets certain criteria (marriage over 10 years, over age 62, unmarried, etc., see the SSA website for the complete list) and if the benefit she qualifies for on her own is less than what she qualifies for under your record.

However, if she collects under your record this does not reduce the benefit that you can collect. So no need to worry about it, really.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby Mark 10409 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am

TJinCA wrote:I think she can receive Social Security benefits based on your record if she meets certain criteria (marriage over 10 years, over age 62, unmarried, etc., see the SSA website for the complete list) and if the benefit she qualifies for on her own is less than what she qualifies for under your record.

However, if she collects under your record this does not reduce the benefit that you can collect. So no need to worry about it, really.

This does not reduce what my benefit is....Man I hope this is correct :) sitting here at my desk wondering why I am even coming into work. ... thank you for your help!
Mark 10409
New

Unread postby a dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 am

If you're going to keep researching this, go directly to the source because wherever you're getting your information from is incomplete.

It clearly can not affect you.
a dad

Unread postby Mark 10409 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm

a dad wrote:If you're going to keep researching this, go directly to the source because wherever you're getting your information from is incomplete.

It clearly can not affect you.

Yeah, whatever site I was on failed to mention that :)
Mark 10409
New

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Mark 10409 wrote:.....getting ready for retirement I find out that she can take half of that.....
Social Security notwithstanding, are you talking about retirement benefits from your employer??.....401K??.....Pension??

When was divorce finalized?? Need to know specific language of your MSA and/or decree. If there's no mention of any of the above, she can't come back and get it now.

As others have said, do your research on Social Security. The way I understand it, your SS benefits remain intact. The 50% you're talking about doesn't reduce your benefits.

Mark 10409 wrote:I was able to save a little and now.....
Post-divorce savings?? She can't touch any of that.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Mark 10409 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
Mark 10409 wrote:.....getting ready for retirement I find out that she can take half of that.....
Social Security notwithstanding, are you talking about retirement benefits from your employer??.....401K??.....Pension??

When was divorce finalized?? Need to know specific language of your MSA and/or decree. If there's no mention of any of the above, she can't come back and get it now.

As others have said, do your research on Social Security. The way I understand it, your SS benefits remain intact. The 50% you're talking about doesn't reduce your benefits.

Mark 10409 wrote:I was able to save a little and now.....
Post-divorce savings?? She can't touch any of that.

Tom

Thanks for replying Tom. I was referring to social security benefit checks only. The MSA clearly stated each of us kept our own employee savings.
Mark 10409
New

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Enjoy retirement, Bro. You've paid your dues.

At last, at last. Peace and quiet, at last.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum