The Child Support Catastrophe

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: The Child Support Catastrophe

Unread postby dadforever » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 pm

massdad1234 wrote:for starters? Equal pay would be an area of focus. But you don't get equal pay unless you address a whole other litany of things.

I clearly don't have the answer. But if there was an easy answer, it would have been done already. It also doesn't benefit the incumbents (old white men) who also look a surprisingly lot like the legislative branch of government, so not much hope this will be addressed in the next 20-30 years.

I just don't think the end of a marriage is the place to right a wrong on a micro level. Even on case by case basis, you will get different beliefs on how things should be distributed.

I look at it as a subsidy, which in unto itself is inefficient. But again, that goes back to larger issues at hand - ie taxes. the children are best served by having both parents support them, but because a marriage took place, the government now outsources that demand onto private citizens. Instead of rewarding the mother for any sort of earned income, they incentivize her to stay on subsidies as much as possible. But again, it goes back to large, systemic issues that need to be address in concert, the divorce process is just one facet of that.

Just my 2 cents in the sea of dollars.

But this is also a country that can put you in jail and bankrupt you for taking care of your health.

If we are going to wave the magic wand, here we go:
TLDR:
Address equal pay
Address tax system
Address healthcare for citizens
Address the legal system - judicial (domestic situations)
End the war on drugs, refocuse those efforts on social services to help citizens

'm going to wager you're a white male right? This is exactly how systemic gender and race inequalities persist, when folks pretend it doesn't exist. Are you under the impression that the only hard working people just happen to be white men who espouse that same virtue to assuage their guilt regarding their inherent privilege?

Its a tough concept for most of those that benefit from the privilege because they have never ever in their life been exposed to the very prejudice they claim doesn't exist and need countless proof to acknowledge.

So many problems with your viewpoint in my opinion....I'll try and point out a few:

1. You are trying to use opinions that are highly debatable and hotly contested (like unequal pay) as pillars to justify a system that is obviously, demonstrably, and verifiably unjust (the child support system). There is an unequal balance there.
2. You are improperly trying to create a relationship between systems that are not related. An example would be the healthcare system, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the child support system. (red herring)
3. You are inconsistently applying the argument of privilege. Any discussion of privilege must also include the prevailing female privilege in modern day society. Examples include (but are not limited to) the criminal justice system, the family court system, and social programs and services being provided to women at a much greater rate than men. Note also that each of these points is obvious, provable, and demonstratively unjust (see point number 1). Whereas your argument of privilege (at least as it relates to men vs. women) is esoteric, abstract, and arguable.
4. Even if you are right about some of your theories, why would 1 injustice justify another? I could just as easily make the same argument about a million other things, perhaps only casually related, to gain leverage in a play for more power in a particular arena. I could say, for example, that since men die on average at an earlier age than women, therefore the family court system should give defacto child support to men. Of course this isn't any more reasonable than the argument you are making. Why not address each injustice individually? And start with those that are obvious and provable, not with those that are debatable. Like the child support system and the criminal justice system.
dadforever
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

compared to most countries, the US is top 10-15 easy, in terms of GDP PPP, some of the best. Work to be done for sure, but try and own some property in rural india or intellectual property in China. You could live in Asian and have your life determined by your SAT scores and GPA. But just because we enjoy some form of civil liberties doesn't mean those aren't constantly under threat from our very government.

Think about this, how many great countries also have a constitution?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Time to close this thread or change the title to TMZ. This thread has self terminated.
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Actually I'm amused. I watched the clips about equal pay but since I don't trust those sources, I will try to find (when I have time) any vetted rebuttals (or, better, the source and calculation of that 77/100 data point).
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 am

Why bother?

There are thousands of peer reviewed scholarly articles and many books written about all the different facets of the gender wage gap all across the planet but some chick on YouTube says it doesn't exist so that's what I choose to believe.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Coffee fiend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

Be mad at the original Dads who left and the kids and stay at home mom to become a burden on the support system of the states. This required laws to be created to ensure the kids were taken care of. Its not a great system but it was a response (since when is government proactive in anything but taxes and their own raises?). There have already been discussions here about the policing of the child support monies and it is practically impossible. The concept is one of trickle down where the custodial parent will spend the money on the children incidentally or intentionally.
Personally I think the culture changes required are very slow and asking the government to legislate equality is a slippery slope. In New York everything is already against the law except having a garage sale.
Coffee fiend
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 pm

the entire premise was hilarious on both videos. I'm sure it was not luck that an older white woman was paid to deliver those lines. There are however those that will make significant decisions based off what they see on youtube.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Chasbo wrote:
But I think statistically single mothers fare pretty poorly. Divorced dads tend to do much better overall.

There is some truth to this, but stats are often skewed. For example, if I make $60K and my ex $30K but I pay $15K in support we each have $45K

But, according to IRS, I would still make twice as much.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

that would be one in a collection of data points that would make a strong correlation to Chaos's point.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum