How shouled I go about ex either getting or been married?

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: How shouled I go about ex either getting or been married

Unread postby TJinCA » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Sounds reasonable - if you notify her that you'll be stopping payments and why, she can call around to a few attorneys herself and find out that she's got no case for asking for continued payments.

I don't see any advantage to you from surprising her, and there's no point in making her mad with no advantage to you.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby MarcoPoloDad » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 am

Gentlemen,

Here is an update to help others in the same situation:

I don't have a Facebook account. Base on a friend's suggestion, I used my friend's Facebook account and run an extensive search in the pages of the potential guests of the ex's wedding reception, which turned out to be fruitful. I was able to obtain all the needed information from their Facebook page.

I never said a word. I just followed the final court's order and stopped sending the spousal support check. I only sent her the child support check. No complain has been made by ex. Bank record shows the child support check was deposited into her account. Recently, the ex's Facebook page is covered by "My Loving Husband" messages, comments, and posts.

M.
MarcoPoloDad
10+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

MarcoPoloDad wrote:.....the ex's Facebook page is covered by "My Loving Husband" messages, comments, and posts.
^^^ That's prima facie evidence, Bro. Copy and print hard copies of everything.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 pm

I never said a word. I just followed the final court's order and stopped sending the spousal support check. I only sent her the child support check. No complain has been made by ex. Bank record shows the child support check was deposited into her account. Recently, the ex's Facebook page is covered by "My Loving Husband" messages, comments, and posts.

I'd say you're done with your financial enslavement to your X, congratulations. I just think it's so pathetic and disingenuous of her not to say anything ... that would <urine> me off, royally.

But unfortunately I'm not in your situation, not that lucky. My X is still single, she got dumped by the Mr. W. for whom she dumped me, and I have little over one year to pay SS. Come October 31st I will start a 365 day countdown :-).
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 pm

lionel2013 wrote:Come October 31st I will start a 365 day countdown.
Sounds like the countdown's been started already. LOL

Tom
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
lionel2013 wrote:Come October 31st I will start a 365 day countdown.
Sounds like the countdown's been started already. LOL

Tom

Tom,

The "big picture" countdown started pretty much on April 30th, 2014, when my divorce was final, LOL ...

When alimony terminates I will have soooo much money I won't even know what to do with it :-) ... Just kidding, of course. This divorce has set me back financially by several years. Wrt pension and retirement, only in mid 2019 i will hopefully be back to where I was before assets were divided in 2014. I still have a steep mountain to climb ahead of me.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 pm

MarcoPoloDad wrote:.....or registration of a new domestic partnership.....
^^^ This is laughable.

Q: Since there's no law against couples living together, I wonder how many couples actually register??

Notice how WA State provides a loophole for couples merely "living together." For the payor, nothing changes. Alimony payments must continue unabated.

Tom
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby nr552 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 pm

11 more payments of "go away money" for me.. Can't wait until that last pay period March 2018... April I will be getting my new motorcycle :)
nr552
500+ Posts

Unread postby MarcoPoloDad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Gentlemen,

I followed your advice and copy and print hard copies of everything.

A great community of dads and I feel privileged to be part of it. Thank you.

M.
MarcoPoloDad
10+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
MarcoPoloDad wrote:.....or registration of a new domestic partnership.....
^^^ This is laughable.

Q: Since there's no law against couples living together, I wonder how many couples actually register??

Notice how WA State provides a loophole for couples merely "living together." For the payor, nothing changes. Alimony payments must continue unabated.

Tom

Couples register domestic partnerships in order to gain the legal benefits of marriage (family health care plans, hospital < parenting time > rights, inheritance rights, etc.) without being married. In CA, RDP is only available to same-sex couples (who until recently were legally prevented from legally marrying) and opposite-sex couples where one partner is over age 62. I don't think it's generally available to heterosexual couples living together, like an ex and her Mr. W.

There certainly is an alimony loophole for a receiving party who chooses to live with Mr. W and not get married. But it can potentially be closed by claiming that sharing a household is a change of circumstances that reduces her need for support, and requesting a modification therefor.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum