Equitable split of assets question

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Equitable split of assets question

Unread postby Schmerv » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Guys, thanks for your responses..

Anything4her, the second link was something I had not seen... thanks for that. I was thinking of their idea of using the evidence in negotiations for no fault. Good to see the idea seems to be workable.

Tom, thanks for your perspective on some of the details... given the minutiae of PA law re infidelity, I really do need to see a lawyer.

Guys, any thoughts on how to identify a good lawyer for this? I've never had to think of this before, and I'm overwhelmed with coming to terms with the reality here.
Schmerv
New

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm

In our Reference section there is a thread on that topic.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby MrCoolDC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:29 am

OP: I would talk to a lawyer first, but you need a PI to document the affair.

How to find a good lawyer: ask people at the courthouse. If you can get a bailiff or scheduling clerk to talk to you, they will know some of the good lawyers. Tell them you just found out your wife has been cheating for years and you need help. Talk to friends who were divorced. Maybe their ex had a better lawyer. I interviewed a bunch of good lawyers and asked them for a recommendation based on my county. The answers all pointed to one guy so I hired him. This is not a fast or cheap process but your retirement is at stake.

You can also check out lawyer's peer ratings on the Martindale Hubble web site.

Last bit of advice OP: I was in your situation. It's hard to decide to drop the hammer, but I'm glad I did, and I should have done it 20 years sooner.
MrCoolDC
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum