Property distribution and use after divorce

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Property distribution and use after divorce

Unread postby byrdman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am

Hello All, this is my first post on this forum, i'm here for obvious reasons. I need help with what to do with the house. The main goal is to keep the kids in the house. My wife and I still have a good relationship and I want to keep it that way, besides the obvious. Our house is on a lake with a boat dock. I have a boat that I plan on keeping at the property, my wife is ok with me doing that, I know I will have to add that to the divorce document, and also the rights to access the boat. is this something that can hold up for ever? what is the risk? there is also a 2nd small detached garage away from the house right by the street, I would like to have use of that as well, any thoughts?

I also need advice on how to help my wife with being able to afford the house without me just handing over ownership to 25% of the house. We have a prenup, so the only thing in play is the house. We will divide the house 50/50. She most likely can't afford to buy me out completely. options include me keeping 25% of the house and she pays me when we sell the house when the kids are older, 15-20 year from now. I could take less money for my 50% and get ???? in return.
byrdman
New

Re: Property distribution and use after divorce

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

You can't do what you want to do.

You cannot have any financial entanglement with your wife after the divorce. Therefore, if she cannot afford the house, you must sell the home or buy her out.

Please don't repeat yourself, we understand you want the children to remain in the house - the only way that can happen is if you pay for it.

So, are you willing to pay for two homes?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby whatever_works » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

byrdman wrote:options include me keeping 25% of the house and she pays me when we sell the house when the kids are older, 15-20 year from now. I could take less money for my 50% and get ???? in return.

All that is now history. Maybe you are just starting the process and you are in this shared cr@p mindset. Two years later you will look back and laugh at this stuff. The sooner you get away from this mindset and get into the divorce mindset the better it will be for you and kids. It starts with you thinking about yourself and your children only.

I would start looking for another house with a boat ramp for myself as this one is history.
whatever_works
500+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

Once her new man moves in, the shared boat house won't seem like such a good idea.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby BartSimpson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am

I'm pretty sure he hasn't considered that.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby afc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

Or to flip it, the first time he wants to take a date on a romantic boat ride on the lake...
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am

All entanglements with the ex wife need to be completely severed.

Sell the boat, sell the house and you both move on.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby byrdman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, but as you can imagine i'm doing a lot of research on this, my time is priceless right now between work and basically studying like i'm trying to pass the bar. So PLEASE stop with the horror stories, I've heard enough already from my friends. I KNOW its a bad idea, I've been on this forum for 30 minutes and already feel like i'm married to it by having people tell me how bad my ideas are. I need only suggestions on how to make this work, thank you.
byrdman
New

Unread postby afc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

So both friends and strangers are uniformly of the opinion that this is a bad idea and will bite you in the butt and you want only to hear how it can work.

I dont know if we can help you since we dont really see it working and havent with other guys.

This might be something for your lawyer.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Help me deal with my reality
Fatheroffour

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum