Split costs. - CA

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Split costs. - CA

Unread postby gamingdad » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

What do you guys do for splitting costs on big ticket items like orthodontia or a used car, when paying "just my portion" isn't an option when the total bill is due?
Granted some places can split billing, so I'm referring to just those scenerios where it can be split.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Re: Split costs. - CA

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 pm

I hope you're not comparing the cost of a used car with the cost of orthodontia. The one is necessary, I get that. The other, entirely optional.

IMHO, you should split the cost of one, but not both.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

gamingdad wrote:when paying "just my portion" isn't an option when the total bill is due?

My son's braces were handled by sending each of us separate bills. Since we are both legally responsible for outside medical matters, I suppose that would constitute a violation of the order and could be enforced in family court. As for a car, since it is outside the scope of the decree, something like that should be written up as a contract between you and the ex, that way you have legal basis to take the other party to court (not family court) if she reneges.

If it is you that is having the financial issues right now, I suggest you work with the ex and attempt to come to some agreement vs. just stating that you don't have the money.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks Jim,
No financial issues as of yet, but due to last experience with kiddo needing 4 fillings, when I presented Stbx with the bill paid in full for 2 fillings, her response has been to offer to pay for the next 2. But the second bill won't be as high, so I'm gonna end up chasing money from her, and that is what led to the post, as to sidestep any conflict that will occur in the future.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:07 pm

When it came to the braces, she first stated in an email that she just didn't have the money for her half and it was just going to be "too bad so sad." . I didn't respond and was just going to wait for her to default and take her to court. However, I am guessing that someone must have told her not to attempt that tactic, as when the time came, she fulfilled her part of the obligation.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby nr552 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm

I took the high road as my ex wouldn't pay a $20 co-pay out of pocket... I pay for everything. 11 more months @ $750 and I am done paying her forever.
nr552
500+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum