life insurance

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: life insurance

Unread postby RC611V » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 am

Just thinking about it again, like yeah it is totally gender < bovine scat >. Why shouldn't she have the same thing, for in case she dies and I need more help with the kids?

< feces >
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 am

So counter with that.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

In states like FL where CS is calculated on both parents' incomes, it's easy to calculate the outstanding CS obligation for each party, assuming the month of emancipation for the children. OP may have a higher obligation, but she has one too, even if she is the primary residential parent to whom CS is paid.

I had online access to my insurance policy and could decrement by as little as 1% anytime I liked. So I build a spreadsheet that ran the numbers and time frames for adjustment. Never had to use it, but it's math, and spreadsheets. Cake.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby JimRockford » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

Don't forget about Social Security Survivor benefits in your calculations and reduce the policy accordingly. I think the counter is no policy on you, no policy on me.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby RC611V » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for all the input.

I don't think she ever read this document, so she doesn't even know what is in it.

I don't have this in my previous divorce MSA, and I don't think it'll be an issue to remove it from this one. I think it is just habit/standard procedure for the person preparing it.

I already have life insurance for myself, it just isn't $250k. So I'm just gonna say I'll leave it there and that is it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 pm

best to stricken the wording then to try and manage its interpretation down the road. Only way it stays is if it is equal on both sides.

Bottom line, if you give into this, what are you going to get out of it?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 am

Try to drop it.

If that doesn't work, propose it be reciprocal, let that sink in, then try to drop it.
a dad

Unread postby Havalu7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

RC411V this is what I love about the forum and recommend it to any guy who I think could use it.

You can present your issue or question involving all and any part of this painful process here and get so much input. It is a shame more guys do not use the strategy here like we do.

Hang in there RC411er.

It WILL get better brotater!
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm

If the purpose of the life insurance is to replace spousal support, then in my opinion the beneficiary (that is, the non-dead party) should pay for it. It seems to me that your responsibility to continue to support your ex should end when you're dead.

Responsibility to continue to support kids is different and it's why most of us have life insurance to begin with, whether still married or not--because a responsible parent ensures that his kids will be taken care of if he passes away. You have that moral responsibility but whether it needs to be codified as a legal obligation in the divorce decree is an open question.

Regardless, if it were me I'd maintain a policy but put the proceeds into a trust in the name of the kids. Name a trustee that you can trust to manage it appropriately (maybe your ex, maybe not). Specify that while the children are still minors, the trust will disburse funds to your ex at the same level as previously ordered child support.

If what your ex is truly interested in is surety that the kids will be taken care of, that should meet her requirements.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum