California Spousal Support and Cohabitation

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

California Spousal Support and Cohabitation

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:13 am

From my understanding, while there is a law in California regarding a former spouse co-habitating, it only has to do with a rebuttal presumption that the new mate is contributing and causing a reduction in expenses. Being the cunning attorney that my ex is, she has apparently found a way to co-habitate and be free of this presumption forever.

Basically, she has now taken up with a full-time amateur tri-athlete. The guy has no money, no job, and basically just trains all day and competes in amateur triathlons that don't pay any prizes. When I was a kid, I think the term for this was Gigolo. I guess I could get bent out of shape knowing that in addition to her, I am supporting him too, but at the end of the day it makes no difference to me financially. I do continue to be amazed at the depths she continues to sink.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Re: California Spousal Support and Cohabitation

Unread postby Californiakids » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 am

Full-time non paid position huh? I bet he has six packs abs and meditates 3 hours a day.
Californiakids
50+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 am

Californiakids wrote:Full-time non paid position huh? I bet he has six packs abs and meditates 3 hours a day.

Pretty much. I guess the way the law is now, I would imagine that guys in prison looking for a gravy train when they get out should be searching for a divorcee on alimony so they can start a symbiotic relationship.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:36 am

The saddest thing, that I am no doubt sure of is that money that is meant to support S13 is being siphoned off to this dude.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

The real definition of the cohabitation in California is that the couple holds themselves out as married.

Financial contributions are not necessarily the test.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 am

I'm guessing that since holding yourselves out as married is pretty much impossible to prove that it is easier to prove on CA Marriage and Family Code 4323 which is the rebuttable presumption of the decreased need for support based upon the reduction in expenses.

In any event this really shows what lengths that she is willing to go to just to have a man in her life and maintain her non working lifestyle. I'm also guessing that tri athlete man is always on the make for whoever will fund his lifestyle as well.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 am

Alpha, Beta.

She got an alpha for some short term thrills.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:36 am

If you are loose with the term alpha.

Parasites feed off alphas.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby nr552 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:07 pm

JimRockford wrote:From my understanding, while there is a law in California regarding a former spouse co-habitating, it only has to do with a rebuttal presumption that the new mate is contributing and causing a reduction in expenses. Being the cunning attorney that my ex is, she has apparently found a way to co-habitate and be free of this presumption forever.

Basically, she has now taken up with a full-time amateur tri-athlete. The guy has no money, no job, and basically just trains all day and competes in amateur triathlons that don't pay any prizes. When I was a kid, I think the term for this was Gigolo. I guess I could get bent out of shape knowing that in addition to her, I am supporting him too, but at the end of the day it makes no difference to me financially. I do continue to be amazed at the depths she continues to sink.

I had to deal with this-- and after taking the advice of many here that my ex could bounce/move at a moments notice I waited until she and her BF had enough intertwined assets it would be nearly impossible to get out things to be able to refute my co-habitation claim in court. Took 3 years, 5 years early of the agreed 8 years of SS in my MSA.

So they need to be more than roommates, have a romantic relationship, that you can prove. I had 3 items (1) Facebook page showing her and BF in a relationship (18 months post MSA)- copied with dates time, etc. (2) my Ex's cell phone caller ID resolved to her BF's name, and then the kicker-- (3) EX got a new truck (it was recently repo'd -- her and BF are no more) which our S said mom's BF bought for her. -- a little bit of investigation work discovered they bought the truck together (both on the title)... Enough for me to get SS terminated. Perm. non-modifiable terminated 18 months ago. Feels GREAT!
nr552
500+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

That's probably what I am going to have to do, just wait it out. I subpoenaed her bank records, but I unfortunately, did not see anything there was either money was coming in from him, expenses she had previously went away or ending balances increased.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum