Is this common?

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Is this common?

Unread postby astrolink » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:55 am

When married, my ex was in charge of the finances and charge she did. When I asked to take over the finances, I was told: "over my dead body." Her spending was far, far beyond our means and resulted in great financial stress for years to come for both of us after divorce.

Fast forward 20 years, I own my home, 7 cars, paid off hundreds of thousands of debt, have no debt today whatsoever and a FICO of 810+. I'm at the point if I use a credit card, I pay it online when I get home so when my head hits the pillow, I'm debt free every day.

The problem is my GF wants to take over "our" finances if we move in together. I'm fine with allocating bills according to income, then taking care of our own incomes, but I'm not willing to hand my finances over to someone else, nor do I need to control hers. As it is, she would move into my home and have no rent to pay, thus have far more expendable income for herself which is fine with me, but I'm not handing control of my own financial future to someone else.

This seems to be a deal breaker for her, which spells an end to our relationship.

Is this kind of thinking all that common from either gender of needing to control the household finances?
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Re: Is this common?

Unread postby RockyCali » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 am

Yes. You're fortunate. She let you know this is a dealbreaker before you started shacking up. It's too bad she can't see how successful you've been and wants to take that over.

I hope she has a nice life.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdaddio » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 am

I agree, good for you that she let you know in advance. My girlfriend and I have been living together for 14 years and have always kept our finances separate. We have a joint checking account in which we both deposit the same amount every month. That account is used to pay all the household bills. We both have access to the account, but she usually takes the lead on managing it. You could offer to do the same with your gf, but it sounds like she wants control of YOUR money, not just the joint finances.
massdaddio
1K+ Posts

Unread postby madalex » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am

Good thing she showed her true colors before it was too late for you.

Run away as fast as you can!
madalex
500+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:33 am

Ask yourself this question: If you were making minimum wage and living in an RV park, would your GF move in with you??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 am

I experienced the same thing in my marriage. I will be paying on this debt she racked up for years.

Never again.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Is she the jealous type? Does she make an issue of other women in your life?

I wonder if this is more of an oversight issue, keeping track of your daily activities so as to ward off other women?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Seven cars? One of them is made of sterling silver?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby astrolink » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:22 pm

She's somewhat jealous. She has no idea what I have for cash reserves, retirement or investments, as there''s no reason for me to tell her. My gut feeling has been to not to. That should be a warning flag in itself.

A couple other red flags went up over the last few months. One, is when she was looking at buying a new car, she never asked the cost of the cars, total cost, interest rate, ect, but only the monthly payment. This just isn't fiscally how I determine what to buy or can afford. I need the whole picture.

Second is she revealed her company matches her 401K contributions up to 7%, but is contributing 0. I didn't tell her that I contribute 25% to Roth, have since my child support ended about 5 years ago (so I don't miss the money), and have contributed to different plans with different companies for over 30 years.

I don't really know her credit history, but she has a decent job and appears to own nothing.

Part of the equation is she is 20 years my junior, but at 37, she should have some vision of her financial future. Apparently that's where I would have come in.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:37 pm

You seem to know remarkably little about each other for considering moving in together, and for her to presume how the "household" finances are going to run.

Again, though, you are fortunate to know all this before cohabitation.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum