Child support end

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Child support end

Unread postby oshmikeosh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:15 pm

I have a question someone here may be able to answer for me. I know child support normally runs until the kids are 21 but I'm wondering if this is a situation where I might be able to get it changed at 18. My daughter is 17 and will be going to college in the fall. She's going to be dorming, probably a couple of hours away (not that the distance should matter much). She is paying for her tuition 100% through scholarships, financial aid and student loans. The reason I wonder if I can get it changed is because she won't be living with my ex anymore, my ex isn't paying for her college so why should I still have to give her support since she won't be supporting her anymore? Does anyone have any experience in this matter?
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Child support end

Unread postby gamingdad » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Big kudos to kiddo for college and scholarship!
What state are you in?
1K+ Posts
Posts: 1168
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Child support end

Unread postby whatever_works » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:00 pm

From what I have read, it varies state to state. In my state, you have to pay CS even if the kid is not living with the custodial parent during college years.
500+ Posts
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Re: Child support end

Unread postby astrolink » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 pm

If child support runs until age 21 in your state, then support continues until then, unless the child become emancipated, which usually only occurs if the child gets married or goes full time into the military.

It's logical that support should end if the child is off to college, but the courts have ruled that support will continue.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
500+ Posts
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:54 am

Re: Child support end

Unread postby RockyCali » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 pm

And here's a curveball: my case was initiated in CA, and is now in OR.

In CA, CS ends at age 18 (or 19 if child is still in HS).
In OR, there is a "child in school" clause that provides the CS directly to the child as long as they are enrolled in school at least half-time, until they turn 21.

But since the case was initiated in CA, the OR "child attending school" is irrelevant.

My SS is also locked in as a CA matter, even though all payments now go through Oregon's DOJ.
User avatar
100+ Posts
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yandex [bot] and 2 guests