Spousal maintenance issue

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Spousal maintenance issue

Unread postby fatherintx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:44 pm

State: Texas

I divorced in January of this year and as part of our agreement I am to pay my ex a fixed amount in spousal support each month starting in February. In the divorce decree it states I am to pay her directly, and lists her address. So February 1st I send the check using certified mail. A week or so later it clears. Next month, same thing. Then in the middle of March I get a "Notice of Intent to Report" letter from the Texas Attorney General's Child Support Office saying I am behind the sum of two spousal support payments and if I do not pay or get the matter resolved by March 31st, they will report me to the credit bureaus and open a court case. I call them immediately and the man said I am supposed to go through their office so they have a record of payment. I told him no one - not even my lawyer - told me this and my decree says I am to pay her directly. All he said was, "I'm sorry."

So I go into the nearest Child Support office with my decree and proof of payment in the form of cancelled checks, certified mail receipts, etc. The lady said all my "proof" was useless and I needed to fill out a form explaining what I've paid, get it notarized, and she would mail it to my ex-wife to sign. She said once my ex-wife signs the form to verify she has received payment, they will clear the debt from their records. I was dumbfounded. Again, no one told me any of this - and I'm going by exactly what my divorce decree says. I asked her what happens if she doesn't sign the form, and she basically said we would have to get it resolved in court. Un-freaking-believable. She said I could always pay the debt to get it cleared, too, but I just don't have a couple grand lying around and I know I'll never see it again from my ex if I did pay them.

So I told my ex-wife she should be getting a form from the Attorney General's office that she needs to sign saying she received the payments I sent. I called her up the other day as it had been over a week since they sent her the form. She claims she has not gotten it.

So now what? Do I wait until they open a court case on me and then take a day off to get the matter cleared (hopefully)?

How can they screw someone over like this? I'm doing EXACTLY what I was told and now have to rely on the graces of my ex-wife. Sounds like a scam.
fatherintx
New

Re: Spousal maintenance issue

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Hello,

Would your ex-wife have a reason to lie?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Phoenix853 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Have you contacted your Attorney?

Contact the Support Services again letting them know and have them send another letter.
Phoenix
Phoenix853
1K+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:21 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Hello,

but I just don't have a couple grand lying around

I can think of a couple thousand reasons she might have to lie.

A person I went to high school with many moons ago worked for a CS/maint collection for a county.
The office is a processing machine. <--- note the period.
The message trained into them is process, process, process. No thinking. No anything. Just collect the money.

It may take a conversation with the attorney and maybe even a paper for the court to sign/stamp.
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby fatherintx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:21 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Hello,

Other than for spite, no. When she told me the other day she had not received it, she said she would try to call them. I told her I was positive she would have to go in person to fill out a form like I did. IOW, talking to someone over the phone would be fruitless. She said she doesn't think she could take off work to get the matter settled in person. I told her that if they open a court case then it was very likely we both would have to take time off from work to go to court, so it's either deal with a little pain now or a lot later. While she hasn't been the b**ch from h*ll through the divorce, she has definitely done things to make my life (and even other people involved in the divorce) as miserable as she can, so I wouldn't put anything past her.
fatherintx
New

Unread postby fatherintx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Phoenix853 wrote:Have you contacted your Attorney?

Contact the Support Services again letting them know and have them send another letter.

No, I have not contacted my attorney yet.

I was going to call my ex again tonight to see what the status was. If she still balks, I was going to stop by the AG's office again first thing tomorrow and have them send another. I will also call my attorney to see what options I have.
fatherintx
New

Unread postby spritom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:25 pm

fatherintx wrote: she has definitely done things to make my life (and even other people involved in the divorce) as miserable as she can, so I wouldn't put anything past her.

Well that bites.

fatherintx wrote:When she told me the other day she had not received it, she said she would try [some sort of attention/effort]

Well, that doesn't sound like 100% bad.
Here's hopin' for ya that she handles things going forward as a business transaction.
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby fatherintx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 pm

spritom wrote:Here's hopin' for ya that she handles things going forward as a business transaction.

Not to derail the conversation, but we agreed on a a list of things as part of the settlement: furniture, digital photos/videos of the kids, many other items. All spelled out in the decree. A week after it was finalized, she said some of the furniture was already sold, she "lost" most of the digital photos/videos, etc. I asked my attorney was relief I had and he said he could file a "Motion to Enforce" but it may not be worth the paper it's written on. So she is liable to stretch this out even if it could mean pain for herself later.
fatherintx
New

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum