All over 10 Bucks

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

All over 10 Bucks

Unread postby JimRockford » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:42 pm

So back in October we did a QDRO on my 401K of which my ex will get $163,000. I reviewed and signed it first and then my exes attorney submitted it to the court. I had wondered why it was taking so long and found out from my attorney today that the ex submitted it to the court without paying the fee for the stipulation, in keeping with her theme of how poor she is. Since the stipulation gives her a fixed amount based off of the September statements and the stock market has been doing well, I am guessing that I have probably made somewhere between 8 - 10 grand off of her money. Hopefully, she will never come up with the 10 bucks.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Re: All over 10 Bucks

Unread postby quantum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 am

So Jim, how did you make money out of 401k asset reserved for her?
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 am

The money is still in my 401K and cannot be transferred to her until the judge signs the stipulation. The stip has like a $20 filing fee that she claims that she is too poor to pay, so she dropped it off without paying the fee and the court won't move it to the judge without the fee. Even after the fee has been paid, the amount on the stipulation for the 401K provider has already been established, to change that would require having the outfit that did the QDRO to update the amount and draft a new stipulation. Had she paid the fee, this would have been taken care of months ago, and the money would have been in her account earning returns. So in the meantime, my account benefits from the total balance.

Her whole game right now is, "I'm so poor and no one will hire me because I'm 50 years old, so I need lifetime alimony at half of Jim's salary." Never mind that she's an experienced attorney licensed in two states. However, to play this out at the level she is, is beyond stupid. I mean if you were going to go that route, I'm sure there is form that you could file with the court that would waive the fees, but she won't file it, as I'm sure that when they would dig into her financial situation, they would see her for what she is.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 am

Always be closing
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Watch the market...if you think the market has topped (and might fall) there might be a good point in the market for you to pay the fee and get it transferred.

Think of it as near-daytrading your decree :mrgreen:
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby RC611V » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Speaking of that.

I am working on getting a certified copy of my QDRO (from final judgment in 2012) to my investment fund admin so mine can be split.

It is up right now 20%, doing great. Feel like I should move it sometime in the near future form the aggressive portfolio to a conservative one.

When would you move it? Now? Next month?
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC611V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm no financial advisor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum