School loan after divorce

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

School loan after divorce

Unread postby krupps5454 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 am

My wife's ex-husband agreed in the divorce decree to pay a school loan she co-signed for and he has been paying it. In the last 2 months he hasn't paid and we received a letter from the loan company.

Is it possible to get her name off of it since he agreed in writing in the divorce decree to pay it? ( $12,000 left at $125/month).
He can't pay because he's a moron with the bills, is upside down for a maxed out eddie bauer explorer, over spends, competes with the Joneses. But his house is worth $60k more than he owes, but he would just pocket the money for tech equipment and max out more credit cards.

After brain storming I see the possibilities as:

1) Small claims court to have him pay per month
2) Put a lien on his house for the amount owed and we start paying until he sells his house
3) Notify the lender and fax the decree in to get her name off the loan
4) Destroy our credit for 7 years by ignoring the payment and get a loan default on our credit

Can anyone offer advice on what is the best way to handle this?

We can't talk to him about it because if we say anything he manipulates the children into us being mean, hurtful, etc.. He's the shining example of parental manipulating. That and he's starts throwing expletives all over the place.
krupps5454
New

Re: School loan after divorce

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 am

This is a men's forum, we are on his side.

Have you considered the fact that this is none of your business? You are a legal stranger to the divorce of those parties, and their related finances. You volunteered to be involved in this drama, it's not yours.

Your wife should consult with an attorney, or consider posting on the forums of FreeAdvice.com, and you should butt out.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby RockyCali » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 am

And not to override Bart, but school loans are ridiculously difficult to discharge or transfer. You're probably not going to have any luck getting her name off of them, and should prepare to resume full payments of them.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby krupps5454 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

@Bart: This directly relates to me. I am a man, I have been divorced. This directly relates to me as I am married to her and affects our credit, bills, etc. I was just asking for advice. Not sure why you decided to be a < male genitalia >, but as this is a divorce forum. I can understand your behavior and maybe you should visit prozac.com and butt out and don't reply.
krupps5454
New

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:46 am

It only affects her credit and bills, not yours.

Maybe its time your wife tries her hand at adulting, ya know, pay her own bills and student loans? Instead of, ya know, leaching off her ex husband and her new husband.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

krupps5454 wrote:@Bart: This directly relates to me. I am a man, I have been divorced. This directly relates to me as I am married to her and affects our credit, bills, etc. I was just asking for advice. Not sure why you decided to be a < male genitalia >, but as this is a divorce forum. I can understand your behavior and maybe you should visit prozac.com and butt out and don't reply.

Credit is an individual score, not a joint score between a married couple. If you were so concerned about this affecting your bills, though, you should have asked her to take care of this before you got married to her.

You probably could have become as much of an expert in how to deal with joint student loan debt as you seem to be in dishing out insults to a forum intended to help men be better fathers and navigate with divorce.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 pm

The father of your wife's children is also a man, and also divorced. Send him here, we'll set him straight on paying his bills, and how to deal with an overreaching new husband.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm

krupps5454 wrote:.....school loan she co-signed for.....
Decree provisions notwithstanding, as long as her name is on the loan, she's responsible for payment. The loan company is under no obligation to abide by your wife's decree provisions from her previous marriage.

krupps5454 wrote:This directly relates to me as I am married to her and affects our credit, bills, etc.
You've got nothing to complain about. You married this woman at "face value," for better or for worse.

In this game, everybody's got a "past." In this case, you married a financial entanglement. You should've done a background check before saying, "I do."

20/20 hindsight and a $12K lesson, I know.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Californiakids » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

BartSimpson wrote:The father of your wife's children is also a man, and also divorced. Send him here, we'll set him straight on paying his bills, and how to deal with an overreaching new husband.

I originally came here for advice on securing more time with my daughter(in the process). It's the classic one-liners that keeps me coming back :lol: :lol: this stuff can be very stressful so a good laugh always picks my day up
Californiakids
50+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum