Effect of Ex filing for social security

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Effect of Ex filing for social security

Unread postby jeff47912 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 pm

i am a little unclear on this topic - if my ex spouse files for social security benefits (based on my income) does that have any effect on what i can collect, once I decide to file myself for benefits? I think I saw something somewhere where it was suggested it might be a good idea at the time of divorce (still upcoming) to buy out my wife's ability to file for my SS. From what little I can glean elsewhere, I think it says such filing has no effect on me, so it would be a waste of money for me to buy her out, right?
jeff47912
New

Re: Effect of Ex filing for social security

Unread postby a dad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Right.
a dad

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 am

Whatever she can get from SS based on your income will play no bearing whatsoever on what you can get. That money is paid is up and beyond whatever you are eligible for.

I suppose for that reason, you first don't have to buy her out and second, I don't think you legally could. It's a legal entitlement that can't be bought.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 pm

I have never been clear on the whole SS thing after 10 years either. Initially I had thought that there would be a price for me to pay for her potentially being able to to draw off of my benefit. but since it seems that it will have no affect on my benefits, that this is one the additional aspects to SS that most people will never use that don't cost you extra. I guess the others being survivors benefits and disability.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum