Comingling Assets PA

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby rj1619 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Working on painful offer to Ex.
State of PA
Married 11 years
1 child

Strictly looking for some financial advice or maybe I just want to hear something else than what my lawyer is telling me and what I continue to read online.

Totally screwed based on my last 2 years income as its was 2 of my best years...in sales.

Q: I had significant assets in selling a house prior to marriage that I owned soley. Those proceeds were how we bought house #1 togther and House #2 that we were living in. The proceeds I am being told don't really matter much now as its been 11 years which in PA is a timeline that they look at the funds as "ours". Feedback?

Q: Same timeframe. Had some signficant investments in stock/mutual funds. All of these accounts were "co mingled" however one account in the overall portfolio remained solely in my name that had a basket of mutual funds. Any chance this would "stand alone" as I would be privy to the funds that were invested even if comingled under a larger joint account?
rj1619
10+ Posts

Re: Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Just a guess but she may get half ownership of contributions during marriage and interest gained from your half and her half during marriage from that principle
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Re: Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby Minerva » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

It's worth doing the due diligence.

At a minimum you're owed your initial amounts. So if you used $50K in equity to put a down payment you can get that back. If you had $200K in your 401k You can get that back. If you have $50K in a separate bucket that never moved you can get all of that back (assuming you can prove it never got touched).

Do all that work at a minimum. Proving after that (for example the equity increase in that initial amount) can be tougher, but probably worth the try.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum