Comingling Assets PA

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby rj1619 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Working on painful offer to Ex.
State of PA
Married 11 years
1 child

Strictly looking for some financial advice or maybe I just want to hear something else than what my lawyer is telling me and what I continue to read online.

Totally screwed based on my last 2 years income as its was 2 of my best years...in sales.

Q: I had significant assets in selling a house prior to marriage that I owned soley. Those proceeds were how we bought house #1 togther and House #2 that we were living in. The proceeds I am being told don't really matter much now as its been 11 years which in PA is a timeline that they look at the funds as "ours". Feedback?

Q: Same timeframe. Had some signficant investments in stock/mutual funds. All of these accounts were "co mingled" however one account in the overall portfolio remained solely in my name that had a basket of mutual funds. Any chance this would "stand alone" as I would be privy to the funds that were invested even if comingled under a larger joint account?
rj1619
10+ Posts

Re: Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Just a guess but she may get half ownership of contributions during marriage and interest gained from your half and her half during marriage from that principle
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Re: Comingling Assets PA

Unread postby Minerva » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

It's worth doing the due diligence.

At a minimum you're owed your initial amounts. So if you used $50K in equity to put a down payment you can get that back. If you had $200K in your 401k You can get that back. If you have $50K in a separate bucket that never moved you can get all of that back (assuming you can prove it never got touched).

Do all that work at a minimum. Proving after that (for example the equity increase in that initial amount) can be tougher, but probably worth the try.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum