renting out a room?

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

renting out a room?

Unread postby BrokeDad214 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm looking at a substantial CS increase, from 350 to 800-1000 it may not seem like a lot, but I only make ~60k.

I'm either looking at a part-time job, 24 hours or more a week, or renting out a room. (current wife split) Either way, I know its going to raise my income. What I'm worried about is that having a "stranger" in the home would give the x a reason to complain more, and even get my custody completely removed.

I'm not sure how else I can go about keeping the home, and food on the table.
BrokeDad214
New

Re: renting out a room?

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Just going to give up like that?
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:09 pm

She'll be moving in a stranger soon enough.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby quantum » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Do the background check.
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Unless you rent to a sex offender, I can't see how she can use this to affect custody.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby grandetaco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:45 am

If you are a home owner it will complicate your taxes a little bit,
Other than that, rent out to the older college students (masters/phd) etc who are nearly always out. Background check, references,
You can get a background search form from the state police and it is like $25 here in MI.
If the renter subs at local school then they already have passed a background check,

Make sure you have passwords on computers, and locked file cabinets for sensitive paper work.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum