Idiot mistake and my chances for recovery of $

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Idiot mistake and my chances for recovery of $

Unread postby fortworthdad » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am

Hey guys,

So recently I've been looking at my IRA and scratching my head as to why it's not as much as I thought it needed to be. Numbers just didn't match so I went back to the email where I tell her how we're going to split the IRA and it was something like Her part =(Balance/2)-20,000. The 20,000 is the pre-marriage balance I had on the account that she agreed to. Well, IDIOT me I must have fat-fingered the calculator and actually did -10,000 not -20,000... SO... I texted her yesterday basically telling her about the mistake and she's silent. So far not a word... if she decides it's finders keepers then what legal recourse do I have? am I screwed? or is there anything I can do to force her to refund me back the 10k? BTW, this agreement is documented in our finalized decree (signed by the judge last August) so it's not like I made up the 20k number I mention above.

Your help as always, is appreciated.
fortworthdad
50+ Posts

Re: Idiot mistake and my chances for recovery of $

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm

fortworthdad wrote:.....this agreement is documented in our finalized decree (signed by the judge last August).....
I'd say it's a done deal. But you should nevertheless run this by your attorney.

BTW - I presume you settled out of court.

Q: At the time divorce was finalized, did you sign a Release of all Future Claims and Interest??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby fortworthdad » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Tom Kirkpatrick wrote:
fortworthdad wrote:.....this agreement is documented in our finalized decree (signed by the judge last August).....
I'd say it's a done deal. But you should nevertheless run this by your attorney.

OK

BTW - I presume you settled out of court.

Yep

Q: At the time divorce was finalized, did you sign a Release of all Future Claims and Interest??

Yeah, pretty sure the decree states somewhere that there is no claim to anything else in the future.

Tom
fortworthdad
50+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Even if he has, if the agreement is documented in the divorce decree he should be able to get his money back. His is not a future, new claim -- it is a request to correct a mistake which goes against a stipulation in his existing decree.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby fortworthdad » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm

lionel2013 wrote:

Even if he has, if the agreement is documented in the divorce decree he should be able to get his money back. His is not a future, new claim -- it is a request to correct a mistake which goes against a stipulation in his existing decree.

Thanks Lionel,

Exactly my point. I made a mistake but that doesn't make it her right to claim the 10k. No different than seeing 10k in your bank account tonight if the bank makes a mistake. I think general honesty says we return what is not ours...
fortworthdad
50+ Posts

Unread postby fortworthdad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm

hey guys,
Not an issue anymore. She texted over the weekend and said she'll be returning the money.

Thanks all for your prompt responses though.

Thanks!
fortworthdad
50+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 pm

You lucky SOB, my ex would NEVER return it.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Minerva » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 am

My ex would say she is returning it. Then 6 months later she'll ask "what money? I don't remember that"
Minerva
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 pm

fortworthdad wrote:Not an issue anymore. She texted over the weekend and said she'll be returning the money.
$64 Q: When??

FYI - This remains an issue until you've endorsed her check and it's been cleared by the bank. Until then, you've got nothing.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 pm

*Sigh *
Fatheroffour

Next

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum