payment/divorce help

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

payment/divorce help

Unread postby jh9360 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Quick background : young couple, 2 years marriage, no kids, no property, assets/funds already separated 50/50. At first, we agreed on easy divorce regarding the case and the situation. She turned around and hired a lawyer to demand temporary spousal support and a bunch of little things with a good amount of lies in her declarations. Temporary order grants some spousal support and denies the rest.

However, in the section of divide debts, it says "each be responsible for his/her own future debts, including debt from credit cards, loans, security interest, and mortgages, unless ordered differently", below that section, it says pay debts as follows : "maintain monthly payments on all credit cards" - Respondent.

This seems to refer to a credit card that she had when we were married. But my name is not on it. I do know that it was paid as full at the time of separation (I do have the statements). I don't have access to that credit card anymore. Therefore, I don't have access to the new statements. I am confused, do I have to pay for her expenses on her credit card? If there is some expenses forgotten before separation, I am willing to pay but after, it sounds kind of ridiculous.

Any point of view will help.

Thanks
jh9360
New

Re: payment/divorce help

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Sir, your wife hired an attorney, who is beating you up badly.

You need to hire an attorney immediately and counter this < bovine scat > with proper legal representation. You are getting railroaded into debt and support that is not properly yours.

What State do you reside in?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby jh9360 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. WA state.

I did hire an attorney from the day I was served. He helped me reduce the alimony. The decision of the judge did not make sense but at this point I don't care, it is just temporary. I just want her to leave me alone. This credit card thing is annoying me.
jh9360
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Is she attempting to communicate with you otherwise? Does she still text you, phone you, or email you?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby jh9360 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm

No, we can't communicate anymore and we live in different part of the country anyway. She made this really complicated while it could have been really easy.

Any idea on the credit card? It seems to me and my lawyer that I should not be paying after separation...
jh9360
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 pm

What do you mean pay it? You are not receiving a bill for this credit card, correct? Or is she forwarding it to you?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby jh9360 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Her lawyer forwarded to my lawyer her statement. He is asking me to pay the balance. My lawyer has been fighting this.
jh9360
New

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Oh, that's simple.

Take your copy, get a sharpie, and write in really big block letters "Go Pound Sand".

Maybe add a little smiley face, if you're feeling it.

Then mail it to your wife, USPS First Class Mail, return receipt requested - just to add a little more hassle to the wifey's day.

Subsequently, instruct your attorney to waste no more time on this - let them bring a motion to compel.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby hopeful dad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 pm

"Ah, yes, divorce... from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet" Robin Williams

But here on this board only if you allow to do so!
Moving forward with distress behind!
hopeful dad
1K+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum