Need some advice about keeping the house

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Re: Need some advice about keeping the house

Unread postby Havalu7 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Just turn up your DGAF meter and don't show her your cards.

Sign of weakness by you? Let her think she trusts you but do you trust her?
”Even a word is an action.” Vaclav Havel
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby MIdadof4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Your children are your tangible legacy. Do you willingly give up on that without even a fight? Most guys on here drew a "line in the sand" figuratively when it came to fighting to preserve the relationship with their kids.

Perhaps reflect on just how you imagine your day to day life to occur post divorce. Does it include a healthy relationship with your children through childhood, adolescence,.... adulthood?
MIdadof4
100+ Posts

Unread postby Indiana44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Gaining as much knowledge as I can on the situation. This week she moved with the kids into her parents house for a month while her parents are in Mexico. Would that be unfavorable to a judge that she left the house and took the kids with her? She'll be back mid march.
Indiana44
10+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Stephen7424 wrote:This week she moved with the kids into her parents house for a month while her parents are in Mexico.
"She abandoned the house, Your Honor."

What's the status of your case?? Does she have Exclusive Use and Occupancy??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Indiana44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

We are going to attempt to do mediation to avoid massive attorney fees. If that turns out to be unreasonable then we will go to trial. If it goes to that I'm wondering if that will be bad for her.
Indiana44
10+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

If there are no orders either way, then its just a vacation with Mommy at grandma's house.
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm

If she is going to return then it likely wont mean squat.

Why did you let her take the kids?
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

My ex conspired to move away with the children before the divorce was even filed. She wasn't doing this out of animosity towards me or an attempt at alienation, it was simply her route to happiness that she felt she deserved. The kids were simply luggage that would automatically move with her to her new fantasy life. Don't assume that your ex has to hate you to attempt to move your children away from you.

Yep, same here. She was actually house hunting in a town 135 miles away [to be closer to her now ex- Mr. W. who lives across the state line] while we were negotiating the MSA and the JPA [only of course I had no idea]. She put in a loan application two hours after we signed the decree [only of course, again, I had no idea at the time], then she moved 135 miles away less than two months later [with our kid]. Your STBX' argument "for the sake of the kids" is < bovine scat >, like the rest of us here told you.

I think I can fairly say I was blissfully ignorant at the time, and I paid for it [actually I am still paying for it]. Sadly, I did not find this forum in time to educate myself on a number of issues. You, fortunately, appear to have found it early enough - now all you have to do is follow our advice, or at least listen carefully.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 pm

If that turns out to be unreasonable then we will go to trial. If it goes to that I'm wondering if that will be bad for her.

You make good money but she - not so much, and you are pretty light on assets. I bet if mediation does not work and she gets a decent lawyer he or she will point that out to her [i.e., that she only has to lose from a trial], and she will try harder to settle.

And one other thing: please don't sleep with her anymore, the internet can help you forget about that very easily ;-)
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Indiana44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 pm

She has no means to move. She is a teacher and attempting to get back to working asap. I let her take the kids cause every time we are together it turns into a huge fight and the kids suffer greatly from hearing that. I see them everyday still and once or twice a week we all do stuff together. The internet gets boring, but it only happened once on Christmas. My kids are number one and I'll fight for anything that involves them.
Indiana44
10+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum