New Jersey Child Support Paycheck Garnishment

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

New Jersey Child Support Paycheck Garnishment

Unread postby jeeperscreepers » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Happy New Year All!

So my Ex filed a motion to have the child support garnished from my paycheck by my Employer (even though I have paid every month - early).

Has anyone gone through this - there seems to be no info online regarding how to set up "the account" and inform my employer.

I suppose I have to go to the court - but what info will they need?

Thank you very much for any advice!
jeeperscreepers
10+ Posts

Re: New Jersey Child Support Paycheck Garnishment

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Contact your State's Child Support Agency, or your local agency tasked with performing the services, and arrange your account.

It is actually in your interest in the long run to pay this way, don't fret - it doesn't mean you are a deadbeat. We can explain why if you want.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm

My ex submitted the paperwork, and it was sent to my employer by the state. Then my hr department handled it from there.
One thing to pay attention to: continue to pay as you do until the garnishment goes through. Don't think oh, I'm getting garnished so I will stop and wait. You could be on the hook for the gap in time. At least in CA you are so check your paperwork.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby big guy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

It's the best way period. Way better for your mental health because you don't have to write the check. You never see the money.
big guy
1K+ Posts

Unread postby BrilliantBastard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:09 am

gamingdad wrote:...
One thing to pay attention to: continue to pay as you do until the garnishment goes through. Don't think oh, I'm getting garnished so I will stop and wait. You could be on the hook for the gap in time. At least in CA you are so check your paperwork....

I'm not sure if I agree with this part of the advise. It's extremely common question that pops up on the boards all the time, The payer pays support (for the month) and the garnishment starts on weekly or biweekly checks over that. The person is jumping through hopes trying to get the money back. Unless the Ex gives it back or signs a waiver stating they received the money it is very difficult to get it back. When you get the new order with the garnishment if their is gap because they are slow to set it up is is really their problem to work out, and typically results in you paying back the gap money on a arrears basis without penalty.
BrilliantBastard
500+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

My experience was, garnishment was ordered on the 3rd of the month. My HR department received the request from the state on the 15th (missing the paycheck date).
Also didn't have a HR employee from the 13th until the 21st. New HR starts, submits to our payroll company by the 30th, payroll company screwed up and didn't apply it until the 15th.
That was 45 days time which I kept hearing from the stbx about support because it was ordered on the 3rd.
I can say the 45 days to process isn't my fault due to the timing of employee change over and processing error, but nonetheless still 45 days behind. And on the form in CA it states that it's my responsibility to maintain support payments until garnishment goes through.
I think ultimately, one might want to struggle a little financially until the garnishment goes through instead of being called before the judge about past due support, despite whose fault it is.
Check your paperwork, that's all I'm saying.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby gabby » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:59 am

In New Jersey, child support is paid twice a month in half amounts. Example: $400 dollar support order would be two payments of $200 dollars each. She was told to pay half amounts directly to the agency on the 1st and 15th of the month until garnishment kicked in.

New Jersey child support website. www.njchildsupport.org
gabby
500+ Posts

Unread postby MacGyver- » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 pm

BrilliantBastard wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with this part of the advise. It's extremely common question that pops up on the boards all the time, The payer pays support (for the month) and the garnishment starts on weekly or biweekly checks over that. The person is jumping through hopes trying to get the money back. Unless the Ex gives it back or signs a waiver stating they received the money it is very difficult to get it back. When you get the new order with the garnishment if their is gap because they are slow to set it up is is really their problem to work out, and typically results in you paying back the gap money on a arrears basis without penalty.

+1

Just monitor the payments closely for hiccups or outright fraud.

I have a nearly $1.5k over payment thanks to garnishment.
MacGyver-
100+ Posts

Unread postby yeller » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm

MacGyver- wrote:
BrilliantBastard wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with this part of the advise. It's extremely common question that pops up on the boards all the time, The payer pays support (for the month) and the garnishment starts on weekly or biweekly checks over that. The person is jumping through hopes trying to get the money back. Unless the Ex gives it back or signs a waiver stating they received the money it is very difficult to get it back. When you get the new order with the garnishment if their is gap because they are slow to set it up is is really their problem to work out, and typically results in you paying back the gap money on a arrears basis without penalty.

+1

Just monitor the payments closely for hiccups or outright fraud.

I have a nearly $1.5k over payment thanks to garnishment.

How would one go about receiving that money back without paying for a lawyer?
yeller
10+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:21 pm

In my state you wouldn't, FOC takes care of all of it.

I was in arrears starting out because of the gap and now my ex is in arrears for the same reason. I'm about $2200 in the positive right now and growing.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum