House: Moving back in post-NJ and moving on...

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

House: Moving back in post-NJ and moving on...

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am

I left the "marital residence" and moved in with family because with my situation (a NJ that's like a tick), that was really the only way to go about things. For the first three months that I was gone, I just wanted to get her out so that I could get a tenant in the house and move on.

At four months now...I have to admit that some part of me wants my house back. I want the use of my garage, back yard, nice BIG tub, etc. I worked too hard over the years to get to this point and just discount the house to live in a dumpy apartment.

I like the new area that I'm living and it felt like home for the first few months. In hindsight, that was probably more due to the fact that for the first time in a while...I felt safe/secure under a roof (my parents). I'm thinking that what I'll likely do (when I get the house back) is move back in for a couple months and see what I think. If I want to go back to where I am now...I can always get a renter in it at that point.

I should (with any amount of luck) be getting the house back in the next 3-6 months. My question is...how did those of you in this position move on? i.e. Make the place feel like home again (it'll be just me...no NJ and her kids). Not having NJ will be easy, but I have to admit that it'll be tough not having the two hellions running from one end of the place to the other all day. :(
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Re: House: Moving back in post-NJ and moving on...

Postby hanzblinx » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:48 pm

I never left my house. Either way, I don't see a problem moving on. Sure it's too big for me, but that's a manageable problem. Better than having a place that's too small.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah...I think I'll have a computer room/office and a room for the dog, lol. I'm also thinking that I'll finally get around to putting in a fire pit in the backyard. I've always wanted one.

What I REALLY can't wait for is to use my garage again. I will reclaim the auxiliary storage area :roll:, claim it as my man-cave (there's already a beer fridge in there), and park my motorcycle and truck in there.

I need to paint both the front deck and back porch though. That and I would imagine replace wallboard and toilets that she's filled with concrete.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby TransAm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:47 pm

I got a RC pop machine in the garage that holds 6 30 packs of natty light. Get one!
"Wrap it up in latex or she's going to get your paychecks."
TransAm
500+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:19 pm

That's cool. :lol: Where did you score that? I'll have to keep my eyes on Craigslist.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum